Profile Picture

iClone7 Animations change when imported to Unity

Posted By vtoddw 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
vtoddw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 16 hours ago
Hello,

I've been using iClone7 with 3DExchange 7 pipeline and CC3 to Animate my DAZ characters for a Unity project for a few years now.  I just recently noticed a strange issue that is really killing my workflow.  Typically, I will export a character from DAZ, touch it up in CC3, animate it in IClone7, import to Unity3D 20201.2f1 and use the latest UMotion to touch up any fine tuning on the animation clips to get my characters fully animated in game.  The issue I'm seeing is that there is a strange offset occurring on my characters feet position on the FBX as soon as it is imported in Unity.  

Here is an example of what the animation looks like on the same character in 3DExchage just before I export the animation clip as FBX:

Here is what it looks like as soon as I import it in Unity:

As you can see the front foot dips through the ground and the back foot lifts up.  This also happens on the Unity default avatar, albeit a bit differently, so I'm fairly certain my DAZ character / RIG is not the problem:

I have not been able to verify that the animation looks this way in any other application, so I'm not 100% sure if this is a Unity or an iClone7 problem.  I have however, imported the same animation clip back into 3D Exchange and then iClone, which in both cases the animation looks perfectly fine with the feet touching the floor without lifting or penetrating.  By the looks of it, it seems as though there is some sort of rotation being applied pivoting about the X (Roll), but that's just a guess.

Here are my export settings when exporting animation clips from 3D Exchange to Unity as FBX:

I have of course tried many variations of the import settings for the animation clip in unity, but nothing appears to fix this issue:

It's extremely counter productive to need to fix these feet issues in UMotion after the clip is imported in Unity, as it is far more cumbersome to deal with foot placement in that tool, hence a large part of why I use iClone in the first place.  

I'm grateful for any help of feedback I can get, thanks in advance.
- Todd
vtoddw
vtoddw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)Junior Member (178 reputation)

I've narrowed the issue down to apparently only occurring when I export animations as FBX from 3DXchange.  If I export directly from IClone7 the animation is fine.

This was exported directly from iClone, as you can see here the feet are both touching the floor consistently:

the good news is that I have a workaround, however, I prefer to send my finished clips from iClone to 3DXchange to be exported because it allows me to export the FBX without the mesh and textures, so it minimizes the import time in Unity, not to mention the Reach_Dummy sphere's as can be seen above.  I realize those don't show up when I retarget the animation to a character in game, but it's just not as clean as exporting from 3DXchange.  
Also, it's worth noting that I've tried exporting the same clip with other characters in 3DXChange, including the default character, but it makes no difference, the issue still occurs.

So what I'd like to know is, what are the chances Reallusion will fix this issue in 3DXChange?  I'd be happy to upload the animation clip if they are interested in reproducing the problem, I imagine it would be a fairly easy repro.

vtoddw
vtoddw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I've posted a bug report for this issue:
https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Issue/Exported-FBX-foot-placement-does-not-match-how-it-looks-in-iClone7-and-3DXchange7

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
vtoddw (3/10/2021)
So what I'd like to know is, what are the chances Reallusion will fix this issue in 3DXChange?  I'd be happy to upload the animation clip if they are interested in reproducing the problem, I imagine it would be a fairly easy repro.

If you have reported the issue in the Feedback Tracker it will be looked into and if an issue is found it will be scheduled for a fix.

You should get a status update in the FT in the coming days so please check back there periodically.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

vtoddw
vtoddw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. 

On a side note, when I wrote up the bug report I came to realize that I do not actually have a workaround when exporting the animation directly from iClone, as the same issue still occurs.  The confusion was due to the fact that when exported from iClone, the animation appears correctly as long as the RIG is imported as Generic in Unity, but once I change it to Humanoid the back right foot starts lifting again.
vtoddw
This post has been flagged as an answer
vtoddw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I just ran into yet another instance of this same problem with another character I'm animating.  Unfortunately the bug I reported back in March has not had any movement.  Fortunately, it somehow occurred to me that maybe there's something I'm doing wrong, so I went back iClone and started tinkering.  In doing so, I tried unchecking the "foot contact" checkbox because I assumed that maybe it had something to do with that since it's purpose is to prevent exactly this problem.  It was then I noticed that the feet were poking through the floor the exact same way over the exact same portion of the animation as occurs in Unity.

As you can see here, the characters feet drop through the floor with "Foot Contact" unchecked, which is to be expected.

This confirmed without a doubt that the Foot Contact is not getting baked into the clip when I export to 3DExchange using Collect Clip.  So then it occurred to me that reach targets have to be baked via right click in order to be baked into the exported animation, so it's possible foot and hand contacts do as well. 

So I:
- checked "Foot Contact" again 
- right clicked the Motion row in the timeline
- clicked Bake Reach Key
- then unchecked the Foot Contact to see the result and Boom!  Problem Solved!

If anyone at Reallusion reads this post, I would be extremely helpful for newbies such as myself, if this behavior was explained in the documentation.  If it already is, then I must have overlooked it, but if not, I imagine it would help someone out there save a lot of wasted time.  

So in short, Foot Contact is an awesome feature, I just didn't realize it was considered "reach keys" and therefore had to be baked.

Reading This Topic