Profile Picture

Question: Is there an easier way to add materials to a specific mesh?

Posted By Digital Set Builder 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Question: Is there an easier way to add materials to a specific mesh?

Author
Digital Set Builder
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I have been unsuccessful in researching my question, so if this is answered elsewhere, please point me to it and accept my apologies for asking again.

What I am doing: I imported a car model and separated it;s 210 meshes into sub props so that I could texture paint each mesh with materials. And it is a labor of love in that not every mesh is so isolated and when I drag my material over to the mesh, I often tend to drop it onto a different mesh instead of the one I want to paint. I tried selecting the mesh and them double clicking on the material but that does nothing.

My Question: Is there an easier more efficient way to apply iclone materials to an individual mesh without it dropping onto an adjacent mesh. I was really let down when I could not double click it onto the mesh. This whole drag and drop method I am using is making this not so much fun.

I will eagerly try all suggestions as I am near the end of my rope with it. 2 hours to get a material to drop onto a lug nut instead of the entire wheel... UUUGGGHHH

Thank you in advance for any help
DSB
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
What kind of materials are you loading to the mesh?

In any case, for hard to reach mesh you can open material as following:

1. For iMtl you open it at the top of Materials List section

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f3d4dc11-02d6-4b94-b8a6-a2b8.jpg

2. For .sbsar substance, open it from Substance section in Materials:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ede70565-d59b-4162-ad20-562e.jpg

You may also select the Material with Pick Material tool (Shortcut is key B)
And then replicate (if nessesary) currently selected material to other meshes with Paint Bucket icon

Note: If you have a mesh with inverted normals, Paint Bucket and Pick Material Tool would not select/apply the material (Example - a back face of the plane)

Digital Set Builder
Digital Set Builder
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You are my hero and my sanity thanks you.

Reading This Topic