Profile Picture

webcam for body motion - subbing the XBOX Kinect

Posted By capt.force 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
capt.force
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
So I'm trying to find an alternative for using an XBOX ONE Kinect for some basic upper body motion (availability and pricing being an issue). Will any decent web camera work and hook up to Iclone 7? Having trouble finding info on this. I know you can use a webcam for facial mocap but didn't know that could be applied to body as well or if it all depends.
Edited
3 Years Ago by capt.force
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
There are a couple of software solutions you might look at, including iPisoft and Brekel.  They *might* fit your requirements.

There is also a cloud based subscription service that can use iPhone (or other video capture) but it's pretty limited in terms of time/money.  The good news is they do offer a free service of a minute a month, IIRC.  You can find info on them by searching this forum.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
cinemyscope
cinemyscope
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If I understand right you want facial and body mocap, right?  The Kinect works for body mocap.  Brekel did the best job when I tested followed by ipi and the IClone plugin was the worst.  I think Brekel also has a facial moracap solution but I’m not sure.  The IClone facial mocap plug in for webcam is very expensive so I have not tried.  I have tried the iPhone plugin and that works really well and is easy to set up.  The only thing is that you need a newer iPhone for that.  Android and anything bellow IPhone X will not work.

The company Kellytooms is referring to is Riot.  I have not tried them.  It seems like a good tool, but it’s for body motion capture unless they added facial in the past 3 months.

In the end it seems everyone tries body mocap optically (because it’s cheaper) and then ends up with a suit.  I ended up with Perception Neuron.  I like their harness because it fits all type of sizes.    Also you can have your actor only wear portion, so a Perception Neuron upper body combined with an iPhone facial capture (I have the I-phone mounted above the computer monitor) will get you exactly what you are describing very well.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Now that Cinema has brought it up, let me chime in and agree that, in the end, you WILL end up with a mocap suit.

You will then have spent all the money trying other solutions and STILL not find anything better.  But it's the nature of the beast.  I spent money on all mentioned and a couple of others I didn't mention.  I could have bought a couple more PN suits for what I spent (as it is I have two suits and at the discounted price they are nowadays it's a no-brainer to at least have one).  I will say that everyone has to make this journey, though -- you can tell folks but there isn't any better teacher than experience.  Just remember we did tell you so.

(Oh, and the reason you will end up with a suit of some kind is that you keep wanting your animation to be better.  Eventually the limitations of a non-suit body mocap will drive you crazy enough to save up for the ultimate solution.  I just wish I had bit the bullet before I spent all the other $$$.  But like everyone else, I had to learn the hard way).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
capt.force
capt.force
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)Senior Member (394 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Thank you everyone for chiming in. :-) I will likely end up with a suit eventually but want to get my feet wet with something cheaper. I'm going to research other methods of doing this, maybe I could use the camcorder I have. Though I wonder if that will require a capture card. 

Reading This Topic