Profile Picture

Incredibly jerky frames from iClone to Unreal running livelink and Motion Live

Posted By alfied 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Incredibly jerky frames from iClone to Unreal running livelink and...

Author
alfied
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
As you can see the jerkiness on my character is just insane, can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Here are all the details:
  • Intel i7 7700l CPU @4.20GHZ, 4 Cores
  • 32GB RAM with a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Card
Context:
  • I am seeing 30-35fps in iclone in quick mode while linked with unreal
  • I am seeing between 80 and 100 fps in unreal
  • I am using live face at the same time as I am linking
  • I used fixed frame rate to 30 and set capture in unreal to 30 (I have also tried releasing fixed frame rate in unreal with same results)
What do you think? Any ideas?
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yeah, sometimes it really is a problem. I hope there will be improvements to that...
A workaround is to play in iClone "by frame" instead of "Realtime" during record.
Though finding the fitting playrate afterwards to trim it/speed it up is not that easy.
I normally use a "realtime" one to see where to set the playrate.
This approach is not that good for animations with voice though,
as syncing might be a PITA...
I also set everything to invisible, sometimes in Unreal too.

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

alfied
alfied
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)Veteran Member (913 reputation)

Thank you TSL - Im going to do a pass this evening doing as you describe.
When you say playrate, do you mean that the resultant framerate from the unreal render should then be... incremented manually until it syncs?

This just feels like such a janky experience with so many "must-do's" considering the expense of the solution.

This is not a massive poke at Reallusion  -  I appreciate how hard it is to code for all of these cases but it does seem as though mine and others expectation is more core functionality than edge case issue.
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sorry, it's called time scale:

Right click recorded sequence - Properties - Timing - Time Scale

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ef5a9f13-1253-4fbf-beac-ca85.png

You can use a realtime recorded sequence to check the length of the clip.
With time scale you can fit the "by frame" one...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

alfied
alfied
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Brilliant, thank you. I've got a good result by just switching absolutely everything off and mocapping into a void. At 30FPS.

I am very curious the development pipeline Reallusion has in place in terms of addressing core performance issues.
Gotan
Gotan
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I experience the same issue. I am on a Ryzen 3700X. What I find curious is that when I check my system's utilization during an iClone animation my CPU load is at 45%. So, it looks like iClone does not take advantage of all the CPU cores. Probably Reallusion is already looking into that as it is an obvious way to optimize the performance for all users. I would be very interested to hear Reallusion's take on that. 
ninjarama
ninjarama
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Try hiding your timeline in iClone... (F3 key).  I have found this can significantly raise the frame rate inside of iClone... I'm not sure if this is considered a bug or a feature =P

You might also want to check other things in the Preferences and turn off some of the options under the "Real-time Render Options" especially TAA and experiment with the other options as well to see if you can squeeze more frames out of it.

Additionally, you might try turning on wireframe mode for your character within the Scene tab-- there's an icon that looks like a cube and it has a drop-down where you can choose to render your character as a wireframe or even bounding.  These are the options I've experimented with that allowed me to have 60fps or close to it during iClone playback and Unreal Live Link.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5c07436d-1f58-4270-b5fb-c7ce.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6cc5206c-09c8-49a0-a842-235a.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7dc297a0-4be0-4d90-9786-fae5.jpg
Edited
3 Years Ago by ninjarama
Gotan
Gotan
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)New Member (71 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Thank you! This helped me to squeeze out a few frame rates.
ninjarama
ninjarama
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Great! Here’s something else you can try — If you have a 2nd computer capable of running either iClone or Unreal, you can also try Live Link over your network. This could help minimize the CPU and GPU load... preferably use Ethernet and a 1gbps or faster router / switch. If all u have is WIFI then be sure to use 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. I’ve had good success with this method.

Reading This Topic