Faceware of Live Face?

Posted By Cary B 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Cary B
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Aside from cost, does anyone have an opinion on which is better...Faceware or Live Face? I am mainly interested in the quality of the end result, any features one might have over the other, and comparative ease of use.  I see that both can capture at least some data from a video. I am assuming that the recordings are both able to be edited in exactly the same way, since they are both captured through the same Motion Live plug-in. If anyone has any experience with the two and could share it, that would be much appreciated! My observation of what I have seen in tutorials is that the quality of capture is pretty much the same. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I own both and haven't used Faceware for... well, a LONG time.

I think Live Face DOES capture better with the facial movements, but there are at least two demonstrable ways anyone can see it being better.  1) It needs a LOT less light to capture correctly.  With Faceware I both have to turn on a LOT of lights in my computer room to capture, I also have to turn the light towards my face.  With Live Face I not only capture by the light of my monitor, it's so dark in my computer room I can't see to read.  Works every time.  2) Faceware doesn't like some glasses.  If you aren't a glasses wearer, no problem, but otherwise be aware that some glasses can keep the capture from working.  Not so with Live Face, which doesn't seem to care at all (this was a big problem for me before I got my progressive glasses, as my "computer glasses" had too thick a frame to use Faceware.  I haven't used Faceware in a year or two so I'm not sure it would work with my present frames or not, but Live Face never has issues).

Now -- it was a no-brainer for me to buy Live Face since I already had an iPhone even when I had spent the money on Faceware.  If you have one or are fine with the Apple universe I'd think it would also be a no-brainer but if you are an Android person?  I'm not so sure I'd feel completely comfortable saying don't consider Faceware at all.  There is *something* to be said for being able to use just about any webcam, or even a laptop's webcam.  At least you don't need to hook a phone up (although I have an ethernet connection for my phone now and use it and it takes only a few seconds to both hook it up and go to airplane mode). 

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
gicag14102
gicag14102
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Does airplane mode works on iphone live face.
Also I used power cable but airplane mode can't work.
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I think Mike's assessment of Faceware is fair, but since I don't have an iPhone, I am using Faceware (it was on sale when introduced, so not so expensive as it is now).

It is true about the light; I have solved this by placing a LED lightbar on the top of my screen. Glasses are indeed a problem, so I calibrate and capture without glasses.

One thing I like about Faceware is that you can use recorded video in the form of image sequences. There are ways to use regular video (Mike has published about that), but for some reason I never got that to work.

As I am not the greatest performer, recording myself first and then edit that recording has certain advantages for me.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Live Face does allow you to use a video recording as source (instead of 'live').  The only drawback is extra steps are needed for the audio, since you don't have a mic input feeding iClone (Motion Live)

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks to everyone who responded!  It looks like Live Face would be the way to go for me. Even with buying the Iphone X, it is cheaper than the Facewear option. The information about the light thing and the glasses is helpful. And if the quality is as good as Faceware, then that is the main point for me. 

Animagic, you said that that it has advantages for you to be able to edit the recordings. I know that I would need to do a good bit of editing, I use a lot of audio processing that wouldn't be part of the original recording. Can't you edit the recordings that you do with Live Face? 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Cary B (1/4/2021)
 Animagic, you said that that it has advantages for you to be able to edit the recordings. I know that I would need to do a good bit of editing, I use a lot of audio processing that wouldn't be part of the original recording. Can't you edit the recordings that you do with Live Face? 

What I meant is editing the video recording of my performance BEFORE I feed that to Faceware. That would be the same with Live Face, apparently, but I wasn't aware you could use video with Live Face.

Edited
3 Years Ago by animagic
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

You can use airplane mode IF you have the ethernet adapter (which I recommend - it's more reliable and easier to use, IMHO, than USB or wi-fi).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
mrtobycook
mrtobycook
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

To add my two cents into this - and for people searching this later... Smile

It’s important to keep your expectations fairly low as well. If you’ve watched various oexample videos out there for facial mocap (Andy serkis, siren, mike, metahumans) and expect those results with either the Faceware Real-time plugin for Iclone or the iPhone Live Face you’ll be quite disappointed. Most high end examples were made using Cubic Motion HBC - an incredibly expensive system that has 500+ point tracking and a neural net driving it.

Both Iclone plugins (Faceware and live face) are only really capable of quite cartoonish, simple results. Not Hollywood level full actor performances (but you can of course try and get great results regardless!). That’s because Live Face is limited by apple’s ARkit, which had a limited number of Blendshapes (eg. Doesn’t even support separate eyebrow movement or complex brow movement). And the Iclone Faceware plugin is fantastic tech for 2017 but was an attempt to get real-time results from Faceware in an easy way (see their latest Faceware Studio for extremely high quality results, for $4000 a year...). It’s extremely limited compared to actual standalone Faceware products.

Anyway, keep creating and don’t set your expectations too sky high!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d11fc97b-7387-4f19-bb1e-0785.png
virtualfilmer.com | youtube

Edited
3 Years Ago by mrtobycook
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

For years people were able to make animation movies without Mocap. So there is nothing against actually animating stuff. But that takes effort and practice.

What I think is the problem maybe is that people are trying to recreate a perfectly realistic human, in which case it would be simper to just film the human...Tongue

I use Faceware but I combine it with other techniques to get a satisfactory result.

Reading This Topic