iClone Filmmakers - Filmmaking resource Problem Solving

Posted By ultimativity 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello Everyone, 
Ran across this gem on YT. I agree, filmmaking is problem-solving. Ending to this vid is humorous.

Nathan

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 minutes ago
interesting subject. As solo animated filmaker one of the things I have found That takes alot of discipline is to stop yourself from wasting rendering time on scenes that dont advance the story but you wanted to just use come cool 3D asset/prop or character you created or bought. I really wish more Iclone users would study the art of filmaking AND EDITING. We have to be  honest and admit that there is alot of Poorly done Iclone animation on youtube( Girls booty shaking dances for 30 seconds) that makes the software look like an Amature tool.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by AutoDidact
mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 17 minutes ago
As I have said in other threads, Iclone doesn't have the architecture for teamwork.
it is practically impossible to exchange content purchased on the marketplace and
I'm not talking about the liscences and plugins that one must buy for each workstation.
However it is extremely well suited for a one man band but to do previz animation.
To obtain precise animations you have to spend as much time as on other animation software
and the result is not even at the rendezvous because it is still limited in access to all the functionalities
(facial bones / blendshapes, compulsory keyframe self-recording, etc.)
Iclone has an excellent rendering but you have to know the basics of lighting/shadow on the one hand and understand the utility
global illumination as well as the importance of IBL. Curiously in this field Iclone is the easiest tool I saw but lot of amateur people doesn't use them...
For me it's not the girls booty dance that makes the software amateur, just watch the dances
of Bassline03 rendered in UDK 4 which gets the jaw on the ground.
The videos that make Iclone an amateur are only due to a lack of directing and lighting knowledge.
I sincerely believe that if the next update of the facial animation is convincing, Iclone will take its
place in the same way as CC3 in the professional environment. 

I forgot to talk about particles but that's another story  Tongue

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

@AutoDidact,
Agree with you completely. I found the videos on StudioBinder website to be extremely helpful.  I also amassed a huge collection of filmmaking books and studied them during the pandemic. 

Nathan

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@mtakerkart,
Agree with you on the lighting and directing shortcomings in many iclone videos.  I decided I will begin posting something every week on filmmaking. Hoping to get iClone filmmakers to discuss and share their methods and tips.

Nathan

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Great Idea
I would like to contribute as well
Here are some great tips on editing your film 
Because ,as in the Example you posted in the beginning of this thread,
the real story/Narrative is finalized in the editing phase of the film[YouTube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZ44HoK9b8[/YouTube]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins

Edited
3 Years Ago by AutoDidact
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Proper shot framing 😊

https://www.nfi.edu/types-of-film-shots/

Ghost Origins

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Excellent. Can't wait to view these. Thanks for contributing.

Nathan

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 56 minutes ago
He best speaks for himself when he sees this, but I remember Benjamin Tuttle doing a series about filmmaking some time ago.

I agree with the observations here. To me animated filmmaking is filmmaking with different tools, and I have found that those with a real film background (not me, unfortunately) have an advantage. So I keep trying to learn in that regard.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@animagic, perhaps we can all learn together from each other

Nathan

Reading This Topic