Using Facemaps with Character Creator

Posted By JasonWynngard 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
I freely and embarrassingly admit to being as dense as a granite cube encased in a lead block. I created a Biblical character (Judas) and in doing so used FaceGen + photo to make a face map. I then applied that map to a CC model and got an acceptable result. Now, some days later, I decided to make another character. It seems I have forgotten where in CC I applied the face map. I have spent two days plodding through CC trying to find the feature that allowed me to apply a map to the original effort. I keep going back to Headshot, but that just results in a face with a twisted lip, nothing like my first effort. What am I missing?

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
It is not quite clear what your are trying to do.

If you use Head Shot then your face image is applied on the model you start out with and that image is calibrated as it were to that model. So for an other model you would start the process all over again. 

Now if you have a character with for example a heavy set body shape or any other specific characteristic that you would like to keep, you can select Current Model (I think that's the option name) when you apply the face image in Head Shot, rather than Male or Female.

I hope this helps. My wife is up and I need to make breakfast...Whistling

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Thank you for replying animagic. By some quirk, I had a CC3 model up. I have a photo I considered ideal for the face of Judas Iscariot. As explained before, I put that photo into FaceGen and made a face map with it. I then placed that map onto the CC3 model, and it worked fine., Now, I can't remember exactly where the face map feature is. I'm pretty sure i saw it previously. Headshot does a nice job but the face map approach I used with the other project came out a bit more realistic. Playing around with CC3 more this morning, and forgetting the face map issue, I can see Headshot does a better job with some face images than others. To be expected I suppose. But it sure would be nice if I could consistently use face maps as described without Headshot. Finally, again, I wish I could repeat my first effort but have no idea at this time how CC3 allowed me to do it. Maybe I blundered into a hidden feature, I don't know.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
What is this "FaceGen" you keep speaking of?? The only thing I know of  in CC3 is "Headshot".
 Is "FaceGen" a different application you use??

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dbdccbe9-2417-45d2-b87d-7b31.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Jason, I'm sorry, I hadn't had my coffee yet this morning...Doze

I'm familiar with FaceGen. I have FaceGen Artist, which lets you put a face image on a DAZ character. You can then Transform that via CC and then you would have a face map that is compatible with CC characters.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 54 minutes ago
If you have Headshot, it would probably be a better solution. Check the tutorials here to brush up on usage.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNV5zSFadPdkNiTlsZI45HlCkrBGbaRXh
ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have FaceGen but use it like animagic does. Facegen creates a 3d expression of a random face within specified parameters based on a selected Daz character e.g. G8M. Then exports the information to Daz where you can bring a G8M character into a scene and apply the face. The application process is actually deforming the mesh, not patching something over the mesh. I have not found any of the patch style applications (like Headshot) to yield convincing results. 

Nathan

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ultimativity (1/8/2021)
I have FaceGen but use it like animagic does. Facegen creates a 3d expression of a random face within specified parameters based on a selected Daz character e.g. G8M. Then exports the information to Daz where you can bring a G8M character into a scene and apply the face. The application process is actually deforming the mesh, not patching something over the mesh. I have not found any of the patch style applications (like Headshot) to yield convincing results. 

I concur for the most part, but then I'm not especially skilled in that kind of thing. Being a "What If" guy I try a lot of things, including stuff I probably shouldn't try. I got a fairly good result by using FaceGen to help make the Judas face. Based on what you say here, I'm wondering how I managed to get the result I did. Most likely it was pure dumb luck.

A real nice thing about Headshot is it appears if you select the no mask feature, you get a really good version of the photo face likeness. RiL did a fine job with that feature of Headshot.

ultimativity
ultimativity
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've only tried the trial version. Is the no mask feature an option in the trial? 

Nathan

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Nathan, I imagine the no mask feature is available in the trial version but don't know that for a fact. I never tried any RiL software product on a trial basis, I just bought the stuff. All I can tell you is that the feature does a very good job. Right now, I'm playing with the liquid options of the SkinGen Premium I got just a day or so ago. In the process, I threw a face on a CC3+ character via Headshot using the no mask feature. I got the following:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c1293dce-f9dd-44a7-8eb7-92e0.png

Keep in mind, this isn't a serious effort. I'm just monkeying around to see what some liquid applications the new plug-in can apply. In this case, sweat in which I substituted the default for a custom liquid selection, just for the heck of it.

Edited
3 Years Ago by JasonWynngard

Reading This Topic