Over Active Weight Map Validation

Posted By Lord Ashes 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
When Soft Cloth Physics are applied to cloth that has multiple materials, the system requests that you select a weight map for each material. This is fine. However, the system uses the same weight map validation as it would use for a single material which is not correct.

When dealing with a single material, a weight map that is completely black does not make sense because then the entire cloth is rigid and thus there are no soft cloth physics to be applied. Agreed. As such the system has a validation which check to see if the weight map is completely black and does not allow it if it is.

However, the same is not true for a cloth of multiple materials. For example, a fringe skirt which has been divided into two materials (one for the base of the skirt and one for the fringe) would likely has a totally black weight map for the based part of the skirt and the totally white or gradient white for the fringe material. Currently, however, the system does not allow you to apply a totally black weight map.   

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
When Soft Cloth Physics are applied to cloth that has multiple materials, the system requests that you select a weight map for each material.

That is not quite true. With multiple materials iClone would ask to apply at least one map for any material and would not insist on having anything for the rest.

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
[b]4u2ges
That is not quite true. With multiple materials iClone would ask to apply at least one map for any material and would not insist on having anything for the rest.

Possibly. However, if I am making an object Soft Cloth, I would like to provide a weight map for all materials to make am obvious difference between a weight map that was not select and one that was selected but isn't soft. So If I have two materials one which one is not soft, I would like to load it with a completely black weight map so that I know I have not forgotten to load a weight map.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast

Reading This Topic