Book Cover Designs With CC3 Pipeline

Posted By JasonWynngard 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JasonWynngard
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, or maybe I am given my ridiculous tendency to use software for things not originally intended. I got pipeline in the hope of creating photo realistic characters for book cover designs. Sometimes, I employ iClone 7 motion freezes for certain poses. If anyone has used CC3Pipe for this purpose, I'd appreciate any opinions or advice.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I believe someone has actually done book covers, but that was ages ago. iClone has also been used for graphic novels. So it's perfectly suited for still images.

CC3 only allows one character at the time of course, so for more you'll need iClone. 

You can "transfer" the look of the CC scene to iClone be changing the extension of  saved CC project to "iproj". And, for a more realistic look you could use Iray.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I'm using CC3 and iClone for book covers more and more (used to only use Daz). This is a proof for the latest in a series. And for comparison, an earlier one in the series, rendered in Daz Iray.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5f8dce70-587a-47ac-a663-7476.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e26d9c48-94db-44be-89da-34cf.jpg

The nicest part of using CC3 and iClone is if the client wants a change in pose or something it's not 3 hours of render time to re-do it. 

I don't render in CC3, I just create the character there (or transfer characters, clothing and/or hair from Daz), then set it up in iClone using Render Image. Once I get a sense of what I want the final to be, I'll turn off all the different parts and render in layers to be assembled in my image editing software (Affinity photo, in my case).

As time goes on I'm finding less and less reason to use Daz--I really like not just how much faster render times are in iClone/CC3 but the different things I can do. Using motions lets me render six images for example with slightly different poses quickly then, being able to slot them into my cover template and see which one I like best. 

I like my results in the native render enough not to use Iray, although I bought the plugin when it was on sale. Fast render times, given my machine is pretty old, are key for me.

Anyway, I'd love to talk book covers any time you want. :-D
:-)

4 Years Ago by nelm2010
JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

animagic (9/4/2020)
I believe someone has actually done book covers, but that was ages ago. iClone has also been used for graphic novels. So it's perfectly suited for still images.

CC3 only allows one character at the time of course, so for more you'll need iClone. 

You can "transfer" the look of the CC scene to iClone be changing the extension of  saved CC project to "iproj". And, for a more realistic look you could use Iray.

First, nelm2010, I admire your cover sample. I think it's wonderful, neatly, realistically done.
Animagic, Using CC3, I have posed characters against a single color background that doesn't overlap their hair, clothing or other areas. Then saved as .png or .jpg. Using Paintshop Pro (or PS if you prefer), removed the background color (made transparent) copied and inserted them into a background image. Example, I took Darmok(?) and another character and placed them in a spaceship corridor without using iClone.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

3DChick
3DChick
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

@JasonWynngard,
Thank you! I admire your username.

JasonWynngard
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Weird response but OK.

finistratbob
finistratbob
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
nelm2010 (9/10/2020)
I'm using CC3 and iClone for book covers more and more (used to only use Daz). This is a proof for the latest in a series. And for comparison, an earlier one in the series, rendered in Daz Iray.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5f8dce70-587a-47ac-a663-7476.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e26d9c48-94db-44be-89da-34cf.jpg

The nicest part of using CC3 and iClone is if the client wants a change in pose or something it's not 3 hours of render time to re-do it. 

I don't render in CC3, I just create the character there (or transfer characters, clothing and/or hair from Daz), then set it up in iClone using Render Image. Once I get a sense of what I want the final to be, I'll turn off all the different parts and render in layers to be assembled in my image editing software (Affinity photo, in my case).

As time goes on I'm finding less and less reason to use Daz--I really like not just how much faster render times are in iClone/CC3 but the different things I can do. Using motions lets me render six images for example with slightly different poses quickly then, being able to slot them into my cover template and see which one I like best. 

I like my results in the native render enough not to use Iray, although I bought the plugin when it was on sale. Fast render times, given my machine is pretty old, are key for me.

Anyway, I'd love to talk book https://freebooksummary.com/category/the-sun-also-rises covers any time you want. :-D

This design reminded me of the illustrations of the first book by Joseph Zelazny or "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway. I drew attention to this post because of the illustrations. Thank you for the childhood memories and wonderful discussion.
Edited
3 Years Ago by finistratbob
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@JasonWynngard,
Just saw your response...
Weird response but OK.

Sorry, if that's your real name, no offense intended--I jumped immediately to the Marvel character, Jason Wyndarde, Mastermind of the Hellfire Club (the first version in the 80's, a storyline near and dear to my heart).

@finistratbob:
This design reminded me of the illustrations of the first book by Joseph Zelazny or "The Sun Also Rises" by Hemingway. I drew attention to this post because of the illustrations. Thank you for the childhood memories and wonderful discussion.

THANK YOU! I didn't realize at first that my mind was shooting for that era of book illustration more often than not, but I did realize it after I'd been doing it for a while. I'm glad the post was enjoyable.
Nicole

JasonWynngard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

zoefoster133 (6/1/2022)
I always prefer a professional designer to make my book cover design, that's why I hired a publisher to make it for my book, now my book is best seller.

That's well and good. Some of us enjoy learning expanded uses and applications of RL products. It doesn't forbid individuals from doing things they prefer doing differently. I also enjoy creating imaginative western scenes for my wife to convert to pyrography she sells at rodeo and other western themed exhibits. We have loads of friends who prefer traditional drawing and painting. Everybody is happy with what they prefer to do.

qiuyingshoes
qiuyingshoes
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
International music artist J Balvin is working with Air Jordan again, this time to launch a new pair of sky blue 2s which have finally been revealed by Nike SNKRS after rumours of their arrival began to circul. fake jordan 2 j balvin
The Colombian rapper is coming fresh off his first-ever Jordan collaboration, a colorful and divisive Air Jordan 1 that releases roughly a year ago, to tease a sequential sophomore effort on the Air Jordan 2. A first-yet-grainy look at the collaboration shows that the pair will recieve glowing finishes applied to the outsole and tongue Wings logos, along with padded uppers and heavily-defined lines. There does not appear to be much color contrast between panels, though it is difficult to tell exactly the hues used.

Reading This Topic