Profile Picture

eGPU with Bootcamp on Mac

Posted By Christian Conrad 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Christian Conrad
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
hello, I am working with an Imac Pro with an AMD Radeon VEGA 56 graphics card with Bootcamp (windows 1O pro). Unfortunately this graphics card does not work with IRAY on Iclone. So I'm looking to set up an nVidia graphics card with an eGPU. Have any of you ever used an eGPU on Bootcamp? Which graphics card works with IRAY compatible Cuda? What type of installation must be carried out to have a good result? Pending a response, I wish you a good day. Selene
shadybearbklyn
shadybearbklyn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

I use a Nvidia 1080ti and it works perfectly. Once in a while I have to reinstall drivers, but besides that it’s cool.
Christian Conrad
Christian Conrad
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)Junior Member (245 reputation)

Thank you for your reply. Can you specify which model of eGPU you are working with? Are you using a macbook pro or an iMAc because I understand it was easier on a macbook pro with bootcamp? Do you know of any references on the internet for installing this type of equipment? Best regards
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
selene.coban.etu (8/21/2020)
hello, I am working with an Imac Pro with an AMD Radeon VEGA 56 graphics card with Bootcamp (windows 1O pro). Unfortunately this graphics card does not work with IRAY on Iclone. So I'm looking to set up an nVidia graphics card with an eGPU. Have any of you ever used an eGPU on Bootcamp? Which graphics card works with IRAY compatible Cuda? What type of installation must be carried out to have a good result? Pending a response, I wish you a good day. Selene

Hi...

I would recommend an eGPU with at least an Nvidia GTX 1070, 1080, 1080ti or if your budget allows an RTX 2070 or 2080.

You may also be able to work with mid-range cards like the Nvidia GTX 1660 or RTX 2060 but performance will not be as good as with one of the above cards.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Christian Conrad
Christian Conrad
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for your advices. One last question concerning the box that can accommodate a GTX1080i graphics card. Should we favor a particular brand to have better performance with bootcamp (Razer or Sonnet or Ankito)?
Could this type of equipment allow me to use iclone with IRAY and the PBR material on my iMac: RAZER Core X Chroma with a GTX 1080i?
Can we easily find drivers for this graphics card for installation in bootcamp ? Excuse me for all these questions but I take advantage of your experience because I find very few articles on the internet especially related to Iclone.

Best regards
shadybearbklyn
shadybearbklyn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

I’m using the Razer Core X with my 1080ti. The driver can act up once in a while and needs to be reinstalled, but besides that it works really well and is pretty powerful. I couldn’t do much of the work I’m doing with the native MacBook Pro card. I triedWink
Christian Conrad
Christian Conrad
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hello, a big thank you for all your advice.

Best regards
Selene

Reading This Topic