Profile Picture

Tips on creating G3 character with dress

Posted By josephnarai 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
josephnarai
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I've made my own G3 character based on MarthaF. I'm stuck on the best way to implement legs with a medium length dress. I've tried adding pins, and splitting up the dress into overlapping parts for each leg, but nothing really works. The best I have so far is to just have the whole dress in the HIP - but then when the knee or leg goes outside the dress it looks bad (see the image).
Any suggestion, step by step, or example characters would be greatly appreciated.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/96d6cdcf-85a5-4a24-a8a4-a8f5.png
kylelee
kylelee
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
josephnarai (5/16/2020)
I've made my own G3 character based on MarthaF. I'm stuck on the best way to implement legs with a medium length dress. I've tried adding pins, and splitting up the dress into overlapping parts for each leg, but nothing really works. The best I have so far is to just have the whole dress in the HIP - but then when the knee or leg goes outside the dress it looks bad (see the image).
Any suggestion, step by step, or example characters would be greatly appreciated.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/96d6cdcf-85a5-4a24-a8a4-a8f5.png

I have a test to try making a dress animation, this is my testing.
My suggestion is to separate the hip sprite, one the upper dress, and part of the dress.
You can use the Prop Key Editor to modify the animation for fitting the character.

josephnarai
josephnarai
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)Senior Member (287 reputation)

Thanks for taking the time to create the example, I'll have a go at doing that for my animation!

I was hoping there was a way to do that automatically - as in, have the dress stretch when the legs move outside the boundary of the dress (automating the process you outlined in your video). Would be a great feature to add! 

Alternatively, something that limits the legs movement to inside the dress, in the case where you want to keep it restricted.

Kind Regards,

Joseph
josephnarai
josephnarai
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Should I add this as a feature request somewhere?
Edited
4 Years Ago by josephnarai
kylelee
kylelee
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
josephnarai (5/18/2020)
Should I add this as a feature request somewhere?

Sure you can pass your wishful to Feedback Tracker or Wishful Features forum.
Wishful Features: https://forum.reallusion.com/Cartoon-Animator/Wishful-Features-Craft-Your-Dream-Tools
Feedback Tracker: https://www.reallusion.com/FeedBackTracker/Product/Cartoon-Animator-4
vepop
vepop
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Perhaps, you might want to zoom in so as not to show the bottom part.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9331d0a4-6a4b-4e86-9f88-963f.jpg
YouTube Tutorials Here
josephnarai
josephnarai
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Not an option for the story. But thanks.

Reading This Topic