Profile Picture

IClone lights go through wall

Posted By Andrés Moya 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Andrés Moya
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm trying to use a spotlight (and even other kind of light) to light up a scene, but for a reason I still don't know, the light go through the front wall and still reflects some light to the wall behind it (ref. image:  https://www.cielotico.com/light.jpg Wink.  I'd expect the second wall stay with no light on it, so I'm not sure if it's a bug or something I'm missing.  Any clue?

Andrés Moya

Audiovisual producer, film composer, 3D Animator and Producer
www.cielotico.com
Amper Sand
Amper Sand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I had the same issue but I didn't get an answer so far. Me I setup a simple cube, put one camera inside, another camera outside, created a light outside - surprise, the inside camera, instead to be completely black, showed light and shadows. No trick I've tried worked. I subscribed to this topic, maybe you'll be luckier than me in getting a solution.

thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Try adjusting the "range" of the light to not show past the first wall as a workaround.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
4 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
Amper Sand
Amper Sand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
In my case, this was the workaround I've stuck with finally, but it kinda sucks - I mean, I've turned off all the lights, sky, IBL, AO, whatever, checked material opacity, reflection, self illumination, I left only that spotlight, nothing, it passed through the walls like they were made by glass. I've tried 3D objects, panels, absolutely nothing worked. Me I'm still thinking I've made a mistake somewhere, I can understand is difficult to create "mirror" props, but here - where there's already good support for shadows, how the object cannot be opaque? And, if is opaque, how an opaque cube could let the light pass through?

animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
For a light not go through a wall it needs to cast a shadow. Check the shadow settings for the light. Apart from enabling the shadow for the light you also need to set the Darkness value high enough.

I don't fell like quoting the manual, so here is the section that explains shadow darkening: https://manual.reallusion.com/iClone_7/ENU/Content/iClone_7/Pro_7.4/10_Scene/Light/Darkening_Shadows.htm.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Andrés Moya
Andrés Moya
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)Junior Member (195 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Got an answer from RL support.  There's no solid solution for this, their answer was:

"The spot and point lights tend to do that. The light is actually blocked by shadow, rather than the surface. point lights have no shadow, and the spot shadow varies a bit with the angle of the light cone. Try adjusting the darkness of the shadows on a per light basis as well. You will see the setting in the panel for the spotlight"

So, I'll have to play with shadow settings, range and other options to get something decent.  I hope next update comes with better light performance.

Andrés Moya

Audiovisual producer, film composer, 3D Animator and Producer
www.cielotico.com
mark
mark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 12:54 AM
And, as was pointed out to me by "The Director" Rene, be sure to set the "Shadow Range" in the Shadow Map menu under the Visual Tab to Manual... for more accurate shadow mapping. Wink

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
Yep! Smile

As Rene mentioned, setting your shadows to manual and increasing the range will help a lot. You only need to increase it enough to cover your scene Note that the value is in meters, so maxed at 200 is probably way more than you will need.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a6f211a5-51bc-4cea-bf80-cc0c.jpg
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.2K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
In this instance you have the option of changing the range of the individual spotlight instead of adjusting the range of the shadows as that will affect all light within the project.

Facing this issue with a scene today and decided to think outside the box (inside the walls of that box anyway).  Added an interior light prop on the other side of the wall and had two light props powered by one light resource (in this case it was a point light...the spotlights act only in one direction).  Power saved!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
4 Years Ago by thebiz.movies

Reading This Topic