Open API: iClone mocap/facial cap for Samsung 10 phnoes and beyond

Posted By sean.lake 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Open API: iClone mocap/facial cap for Samsung 10 phnoes and beyond

Author
sean.lake
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Since there's an open source code will there ever be facial capture available to other phones, other than the iPhone, obviously.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 59 minutes ago
No.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You would think some other outfit would writew code for Mocap for Android etc, wouldn't you?

Alas, it turns out that Apple bought thre Israeli company that originated the facial mocap code and have made as sure as they can that they are the only ones with the technology.

Regards

SeanMac
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Kelleytoons (2/22/2020)
No.

SeanMac (2/22/2020)
You would think some other outfit would writew code for Mocap for Android etc, wouldn't you?

Alas, it turns out that Apple bought thre Israeli company that originated the facial mocap code and have made as sure as they can that they are the only ones with the technology.

Regards

SeanMac

Not true at all! Rokoko is releasing the face data capture for Android this year (they have already released face capture for iPhoneX ). If they could do it, then so does RL can.

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 minutes ago
The difference is that Rokoko specializes in Mocap and that RL just provides the interface. So if a third party were to write the part that generates the facial Mocap data for Android then that would be a different matter. However, I wouldn't want RL to spend any resources on that. They are already spread too thin as it is now.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Thanks for that.

Do you have a source for us to look up?

Regards
SeanMac
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
SeanMac (2/28/2020)
Thanks for that.

Do you have a source for us to look up?

Regards
SeanMac

Maybe false alarm. I just looked it up again and the date they posted it, was last year during the initial release (July 2019) in their blog and then they mentioned about it couple of times on youtube replies.
So the Android version should have been here by the end of last year. Whistling
Aside, after watching some of their tutorials, I am not that impressed with the capability of the software.
It is no match to the iClone PhoneX plugin implementation as far as I can see.

They are already spread too thin as it is now.         

Tell me about it Smile
Yet the other half of the population deserve a decent face mocap.

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
SeanMac
SeanMac
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.
Admitting a change in circumstances is always a test of a man. Well done.

The technology that I was thinking about was the spray-painting of tens of thousands of UV dots on the face and calculating their distances. Whether anyone else can get past the patent on this I doubt.

Having said that, I also have to say I agre wholeheartedly with your attitude and motivations. I do not care for the closed garden of Apple.

But needs must....

Regards

SeanMac
midix
midix
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

It would be awesome to have at least something like this for iClone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7nNO3FLkLU

midix
midix
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

I got a rough attempt with at least head movement working on a PC webcam but there is a big problem - CPU usage. I am doing dlib-based face feature extraction from 640x360 frames at 30fps, but it stutters very much when used inside iClone.

While I do the heavy stuff in a background thread, still it does not help much. My i7 usage is about 40% and avatar facial movements are jerky and with latency.

Maybe there is some more lightweight way to animate avatar's face (actually only head for now) realtime than with my current solution of

face_component.AddClip(RLPy.RTime(0), "Clip", RLPy.RTime(1))
        result = face_component.AddHeadKey( RLPy.RTime( 0 ), [ v, h, t ] ) 

but I could not find anything better in the API documentation.

I might be able to get better results if I separate the image processing in another standalone QT app (actually I tested feature extraction this way first before integrating into iClone), but there's still an issue with noticeable tremors because dlib does not guarantee feature point stability, even after applying lots of Gaussian blur on the source frames. It would require some additional algorithm to detect and filter out false facial feature point movements, but that would slow it down even more.

I'm not sure if I want to invest more time to experiment with it or just buy an iPhone BigGrin 
Edited
3 Years Ago by midix

Reading This Topic