Tutorial of creating an anime short

Posted By delebash 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
delebash
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
After looking at many Iclone shorts and tutorial videos all of the action seems very mechanical to me.  Does anyone have a full tutorial on creating an anime short like the attached?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI729MExot4

The motion is very smooth and much more realistic than any of the shorts I have seen made with Iclone. You can see the smoothness of walking characters at the end scene of students walking.  I have not seen a step by step tutorial that creates something like this.  Any one know of some tutorials that demonstrate creating a short like this?
Edited
4 Years Ago by delebash
Lord_Dreadmoor
Lord_Dreadmoor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The reason you see a lot of "mechanical" looking movement comes down to the amount of time spent working on the rigging and animation sequences. Like anything else, the more time you spend tweaking it to get the results you want, the better the results will be, it all comes down to individual preference. I would strongly suggest watching a lot of YouTube tutorials on animation in Maya, since animation in Maya is the professional industry standard. Unfortunately it is an extremely expensive, subscription based program, hence why many people opt for less costly alternatives like the Reallusion products. Aside from the indidivudual tools in the programs being vastly different, the principals are the same, movement is movement and you can get some pretty fantastic results if you actually take your time and really do the work in smoothing out your techniques. Here's a previz of  mine I did to test the animation and rigging before I exported anything to Unreal Engine 4.

artstation.com/dreadmoormediaarts
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
look at it like this -  the sketch on the left didn't use a better pencil than the sketch on the right .....and that video is not anime.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/86b0a5b4-d422-4e36-aae3-65c9.jpg

Lord_Dreadmoor
Lord_Dreadmoor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Another thing I noticed in the video example you shared was that the movement is actually VERY mechanical, in point of fact, the creator just happens to be a good enough editor where the cuts hide the unnatural movement, but if you really look it is actually quite obvious. But that's the nature of filmmaking in general, isn't it. Having the ability to polish something that may not be perfect, until it looks good enough where the audience doesn't notice, or care. Star Wars is a global phenomenon but that shit is just a bunch of model kits, muppets and repurposed camera parts and WWII memorabilia. You can make anything look amazing if you put in the work mate.

artstation.com/dreadmoormediaarts
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Apart from the clip not being Anime, as PSD points out, I find a lot of Anime actually quite mechanic...

I always wonder when people make general statements of iClone clips they have seen if they really searched hard. There must be 1000s of clips by now and some are quite good. Do people want to emulate live action? In that case just make a live action movie.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
yep,  some anime doesn't even have much animation ...it's more about the pictures and the story

"The word anime is the Japanese term for animation, which means all forms of animated media. Outside Japan, anime refers specifically to animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastical themes."

Reading This Topic