Profile Picture

Problems with exported FBX (normals and texture resolution)?

Posted By mssoft 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Problems with exported FBX (normals and texture resolution)?

Author
Problem.png
mssoft
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

I have three problems with exported FBX.
1. When the models are exported to anFBX file (especially with clothes), the normals / tangents are apparently notwritten correctly. I tried the export profile "Unreal" and"Maya" and from iClone and Character Creator. No matter whether Iimport the FBX file into Maya or UE4, I have a "shimmering" surface. See "WrongNormals1-7".
The shimmer has nothing to do with theimported material. I can also create and use a simple material in Unreal.See "ImportedNormalsSimpleMaterial1-3".
If I do not import thenormals and tangents when I import them into Unreal, but have them computed byUnreal, the problem is not. But the calculated normals can sometimes beunsuitable.
Also under Unreal and Maya, there isan error in the depth sorting of the polygons after an export if the materialis translucent. The problem cannot be solved by recalculating the normals inUnreal. So it doesn't seem to be the problem. A workaround is material opaqueor masked. But sometimes translucent is also desirable because e.g. looksbetter on hair. The problems do not depend on the manufacturer of the models.It occurs with base models as well as with clothing.
See Imported with opaque material and computed normals, Imported with opaque material and normals
, Imported with translucent material and normals.
The clothing / armor of e.g. PlaysetAssassins and Paladin look very good on the website, but in the CharacterCreator and especially in Unreal the low resolution doesn't make a goodimpression. See "ResolutionLow1Orig".
The artist's models are surelymade with higher resolution textures. Why is not at least a 2048 resolution (or4096) offered as -additional- downloadable packages? I was able to achieve animprovement in close-ups (dialogue scenes) through layered material in Unreal,but especially the normal maps in low resolution reduce the overall quality. See "ResolutionLow2Layered".
I'm more of a developer than an artist, butis there any other easy way to generate highres normal maps from thehighres-polygon models? The easiest thing would of course be to give thecustomer the high textures straight away. Scaling down is better than scalingup. Within the Character Creator and iClone you can work with low textures butwhen exporting, more resolution should be possible or I only have external ZIPpackages with the highres textures that I can import into Unreal or Maya.

Attachments
WrongNormals1Setup.png (195 views, 586.00 KB)
WrongNormals2Imported.png (97 views, 831.00 KB)
WrongNormals3Computed.png (103 views, 869.00 KB)
WrongNormals4Imported.png (90 views, 953.00 KB)
WrongNormals5Computed.png (88 views, 924.00 KB)
WrongNormals6Imported.png (91 views, 987.00 KB)
WrongNormals7Computed.png (116 views, 992.00 KB)
ResolutionLow1Orig.jpg (98 views, 344.00 KB)
ResolutionLow2Layered.jpg (109 views, 525.00 KB)
unit23
unit23
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi, I've forwarded this issue to the staff. In the meantime you may get proper results if you move the CC_Shaders folder out of your project (prior to importing), and change material opacity settings to default, for materials which do not need transparency, even though AutoSetup is setting some materials up with transparency. 

Edited
4 Years Ago by unit23
mssoft
mssoft
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks a lot. I have solved all problems. I could find out some things. Reallution information could help me with others.

1. Reallution said: "You can play with adjusting the smoothing angle of the normals in CC3P before you export. They could be set to high. In the adjustment panel you can set 0 for faceted, all the way to 180. So maybe try something around 45, as it may be enough."

But that changed nothing. The angle for example already had the value of 45 and that's ok. But
I noticed that my observation was wrong. The normals are still ok in Maya. The error happens when it goes from Maya to Unreal. Maya uses "Up axis = Z" and when exporting I used "Up axis = Y" as Unreal needs it. But the Normals keep the old angle and are wrong afterwards. Workaround: Export from Maya with "Up axis = Z" but when importing into Unreal with Transform Import Rotation to -90,0,0.

2. Reallution said: "
If you notice, the UE4 hair shader does not use transparency, and it's because of that. Transparency depth sorting is a problem with all realtime engines, unfortunately. If you use our Auto-setup plugin, it uses the UE4 hair shader."
In fact, I have now read articles describing this problem of modern engines using deferred rendering. Accordingly, I now use opaque, masked or masked with dithering. I have not found another workaround.

3. Reallution said: "I launched the paladin in the Appearance Editor, and I was able to set each piece of the armor to 2048. So that is 4 times higher. You can modify each color channel in the Appearance Editor as well, as the armor is maid with a colorID map. Here is AE usage tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcEMV2bKFVo&list=PLNV5zSFadPdl8bX7wzxg2MGbhRjUvSt5J&index=10&t=0s"
I didn't know the way yet. A 2k resolution is sufficient for my requirements. Also very practical that you can also get the ColorIDs. It would be even better if you can get directly to the textures in the file system. But that's okay for me.

I hope the information also helps others who have run into these problems.

Reading This Topic