Custom 3D Head Import in CC3 Character

Posted By dassoubarna 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
dassoubarna
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I download a free 3D head model from Sketchfab (https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/stylized-head-a71383fe27fe46b9a2a8913b7faf1b66). I separate the hair, mustache and cloth mesh. Now I want to use the head in a CC3 character. Can any body point out a way to do that? I am a novice and not an expert in using 3D modelling tools. Please help?
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Well, the good news (since you're not a modeler) is that you can't.  Which is to say, you can't just put this head on a CC3 character.  There is really only one way of getting a custom head on a CC3 character and that means modding the existing head in some manner.  You can't add vertices, you can't use other 3D heads from outside the program, you must have some mechanism to mod the existing one.

Now, you can do this with morphs or by taking the existing head into a program like ZBrush to mod by hand, which requires a LOT of skill to get something like this.  You could also, if you could get such a custom head on a Daz Genesis character, use Transformer to bring it in (which means it will be remapped to that existing CC3 one).

But the only other way is to take a still image and use Headshot to have HS mod the existing CC3 head (you will still need to apply some morphs manually to get it to match up as closely as possible).  This is likely the easiest thing to do.  In the case of an extreme head like this one it still will be challenging but it's doable.  Headshot is a separate plugin sold for CC3 and is worth every penny.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Here's what I did in about 10 minutes using Headshot (so, far from perfect, but if you spent an hour you could get very, very close):

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3b93b8c7-b3b8-4205-b07d-5e37.png

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So I played with this a *little* more (around 10 more minutes as I had a bit of spare time this afternoon) and I got this, which is much closer:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ece90a4d-0655-4ba6-9293-d8b4.png

If nothing more it shows the power of Headshot to do even cartoony folks.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
That's pretty awesome, Mike. What morph sets add-ons do you use?
dassoubarna
dassoubarna
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
That's great. I'll try the way you do it. Thanks a lot!
Edited
4 Years Ago by dassoubarna
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

jarretttowe (1/11/2020)
That's pretty awesome, Mike. What morph sets add-ons do you use?

This was all done using the Headshot morphs (which are considerable).  And, of course, using the Adjust/Bake (which means you adjust to the max, bake, and rinse and repeat.  You can also type in more extreme values but I prefer this method as it seems to give me a lot more control as I shape).

I started off mostly using the default "Activate Sculpt morph" shaping under Headshot -- that was basically all I did with the first pass (before I needed to leave to go shopping).  When I came back I spent another 10 minutes using individual morphs, like typing in "Eye bag" so I could see those specifically.  Honestly, Headshot is worth it for the morphs alone.

(Oh, the last thing I did was apply the Cartoon profile that comes with the Cartoon character set, so that the eyes close properly, which you can't see from that image.  Any time you make very large "cartoony" eyes you really need to apply this profile, so the cartoon people set is worth it for that alone).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jeannemoulin43
jeannemoulin43
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (1/10/2020)
Well, the good news (since you're not a modeler) is that you can't.  Which is to say, you can't just put this head on a CC3 character.  There is really only one way of getting a custom head on a CC3 character and that means modding the existing head in some manner.  You can't add vertices, you can't use other 3D heads from outside the program, you must have some mechanism to mod the existing one.

Now, you can do this with morphs or by taking the existing head into a program like ZBrush to mod by hand, which requires a LOT of skill to get something like this.  You could also, if you could get such a custom head on a Daz Genesis character meilleures mutuelles senior, use Transformer to bring it in (which means it will be remapped to that existing CC3 one).

But the only other way is to take a still image and use Headshot to have HS mod the existing CC3 head (you will still need to apply some morphs manually to get it to match up as closely as possible).  This is likely the easiest thing to do.  In the case of an extreme head like this one it still will be challenging but it's doable.  Headshot is a separate plugin sold for CC3 and is worth every penny.

This information will be very useful for programming, but insufficient I think. Do not hesitate if you still have other information.

Reading This Topic