Wanted Headshot Features

Posted By Mythcons 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Mythcons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
My top wanted features:

1) Full control of camera when using the Re-Project Image feature, with the option to lock or unlock the camera. Currently you can only control the lens. I wanted to see if I could sculpt, render, paint over my render -- then re-project it. Unfortunately this did not work, as Headshot extrapolated the angle of my painted render differently than I had anticipated.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b57df0ff-beeb-47c3-b557-cc0b.jpg

2) When you initiate a Headshot process, it would be nice to be able to optionally keep the current head morph. There is a away around this, but it would be nice to analyze an existing morph and project on-top of it, without the facial adjustments. Headshot could turn into an amazing texturing tool.

3) The ability to remove or set limitations on the morph-sculpting tools. Currently you have to bake out the morph when it reaches -100 or 100. Not a huge deal, but would be nice.

4) Perhaps adding an 'Expert' menu which incorporates #1-3, and allows you to choose various other things like which Shader to use. For illustrated work, I usually switch to Traditional and ramp up the Self-Illumination settings.

5) For CC3 in general: I think adding a Cartoon outline would be welcome for certain work (as in iClone). The ability to put an outline on models in 3D is very appealing: Venom Sketchfab
facr73
facr73
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 22 minutes ago
I agree with all your requests.

I would like to see also gizmos in the face and control the morphs with gizmos like this tool:

That way you can use the gizmo to sculpt bringing more control/freedom to the morph process.

facr
Edited
5 Years Ago by facr73
Mythcons
Mythcons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

https://i0.wp.com/www.tomrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/head2.jpg

Would it be possible to create a feature in Headshot that could analyze various aspects of the face and auto exaggerate them? Caricature artists do this manually, but I see no reason an AI algorithm couldn't use the same approach.
Alternatively, or in addition, Headshot could have an add-on that allows you to activate a caricature push/pull menu (similar to 'Sculpt Morph') so that this could be done manually. I think the amount of people who'd buy Character Creator + Headshot + Caricature Add-on for making caricatures alone would be significant.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bd0a8613-19de-404c-91f9-8f70.jpg
vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I would like to see also gizmos in the face and control the morphs with gizmos like this tool:
That show bones based expressions ,  that can be done  in 3Dxchange if the character has a bone based face rig.

it has nothing to do with premade morphs in CC  . Morphs are stored vertex positions and work with value. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

I wish more of the morphs were in a "center" position, so I could adjust them in either directions.

It seems to me that too many morph sliders will only adjust in one direction after I've created a head.  For example, cheekbones can expand outward, but not collapse inward.  Or something can rotate one direction but not the other.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or missing a step, or just have a skewed perception that makes me think the problem is worse than it really is.  Don't be shy about correcting me.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Mythcons,

I like your general idea -- not sure how much AI could be invoked since even on the web there aren't any magic "make caricature" tools (and if there's nothing so far then it's unlikely anything can be auto-generated).

However, one thing that is doable is to create specific morphs that provide that caricature ability.  For example, I took the head you provided an image of and created a morph from it.  Then I'm able to apply this to any other head.  Doing that with nose, eyes and ears (here I also did the ears and eyes but for maximum flexibility they should be separate) and then any skin texture you ought to be able to create some interesting looks.

Here's the morph just applied to the base CC3 head:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/05aa0e12-2ad1-4bd9-96c7-6ac4.png

And then applied to a Daniel Craig Headshot generated character:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9eba56f3-762e-418a-a47a-d4cd.png

I may go ahead and create half a dozen of these Caricature morphs and then play around with combining them in various ways.  In any case, thanks for the idea!

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
MIDI3D
MIDI3D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi Mike, I have a question that's a bit off topic, but it is related. Do you know of a way to go directly from Marvelous Designer to CC3 or even better iClone? The way that this relates to the topic of Headshot is that because of this new advancement, I am giving iClone another serious look at being a major part of my animation toolset. I've had it for over 7 years and I abandoned it for the lack of not being able to import Alembic files. I've watched many of your tutorials and I am familiar now, ( because of you) with the weight map process and I find it cumbersome and too time consuming. Anyway, I really want to benefit from CC3 & iClone, primarily because of Headshot. I just can't without having a direct back & forth with Marvelous Designer. Sorry for intruding on this post.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
You can import any OBJ or FBX clothing into CC3 (the ideal place for it) but you'll need to do some fitting depending on how you design it (ideally you'd export a CC3 character and use that as your template).  The process is easy, and you can "weight" the clothing just by selecting what type it is.  However, this is different from the unfortunately identically named weight process for physics -- in those cases you will still need to draw maps in order to control the movement of clothing that isn't pinned to the body (like skirts and dresses and such).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
MIDI3D
MIDI3D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)Junior Member (194 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks "Still Genius Mike"!
I was trying to avoid that because I can go from Marvelous Designer to Cinema 4D and/or Blender in 1 step. More specifically, once I design and simulate my clothing in MD, I can export my simulated cloth directly to my animated Alembic file character in either of those programs without having to use any 3rd party software and without having to draw maps and re-simulate. When I've tried to do that, I get very inconsistent results and a much inferior simulation.  I've been using MD for about 3 years now, and I've become pretty good at it for what my animation requires. What I would like is to be able to have the exact same product that I produced in MD to show up in CC3 or iClone like I get in the other software mentioned. That can happen with any program that supports Alembic import. Another way, like in Daz, is through importing an .obj sequence. CC3 and iClone doesn't allow either. Lastly, when I want dynamic clothing that is beyond my skillset, I can use Dforce clothing in Daz, export it as an Alembic file along with the character and just retexture map it in any program that accepts Alembic file import. I think that I read a while back on this forum that Reallusion might incorporate Dforce clothing. Maybe someday....  You have given me the correct solution. The limitation is in the software, not your response. We all greatly benefit from you Mike as you already know! THANK YOU!
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 21 minutes ago
@MIDI3D: Another argument for Alembic import, which has been requested quite some time ago. You can add your supporting vote in Feedback Tracker at: #3363.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic