My Personal Explanation Of UV maps

Posted By Delerna 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Delerna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
OK, I have finished demonstrating this.
If any questions come I will try and attempt to answer

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
5 Years Ago by Delerna
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Thanks for making this, i wished for something like this 4 years ago, trying to figure out uv maps by yourself is a major pain and the information on the internet is rarely as simple as what you posted here. UV maps were so frustrating and infuriating for me. This will surely help a lot of new comers and should be pinned in the forums.

I will make a small contribution to this post:

An awesome and kind of easy to use software for uv mapping is 3d coat, the tools are simple and easy to use. The only downside is the lack of newbie level tutorials and some tooltips and windows are in broken english.
For creating materials (diffuse, normal, roughness, metallic, height maps) from a simple bitmap there are 3 options that are quite nice:
Substance super tools bitmap2material available in the content store, and works inside iclone. Alternatively there is the bitmap2material form allegorythmic, has even more options to fine tune an image and the best feature is the make it tile option, this is good for making seamless textures. Downside is allegorythmic was bought by adobe, i currently don't know what the licensing terms are and if a perpetual license still exist.
lastly there is a freeware called awesome bump which is quite powerful and has many fine tuning options, and best of all is free. the downside is that UI is not exactly the best around but it isn't the worst either, but once you get the hang of it it is very easy to use

Again, thanks Delerma for making this topic and for the time invested in doing it

Edited
5 Years Ago by raxel_67
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
and the simplest illustration of what a UV is ....
https://i.redd.it/g84k861qdd301.jpg

vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

lol wendy I had thought of the same BigGrin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Raxel 67
Thank you, yes I wish that when I had started learning these things that I had found tutorials that explains things as fully as possible and keep the words as simple as possible so more people can understand what is being shown.
I don't think of myself as a expert teacher, I just try and help people as best as I can and I can only show things as I understand them. Hope it helps some people.

Wendyluvscats and Vidi
Yes you are right, that is a really simple illustration of what a UV map is and if some people find that is enough then great, you have showed them well enough.

But I don't see that it really explains how to use them in something like iClone and I say that because over time I have helped a couple of people to get started with it. Also it took me time to figure things out when I started too.
As I stated at the start of this post, I had another person ask me for help with UV and texturing models and this time I decided to post it here because I thought that maybe it might help some other people too.
That's why I wrote all those posts that show why and how UV map's get made, who actually adds them to the model. And finally, I tried to show 1 way people can figure out how to get their textures to show up on the correct place on the model they are trying to texture in iClone.

I think knowing these things might help some new users of them to understand why they are made the way they are made and how they can go about finding out which parts of the UV map show up on which parts of the model so they can get their textures in the right places.

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
5 Years Ago by Delerna
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.7K reputation)

my light humor was not meant to detract from your postsErmm

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sorry Wendy, I was just trying to state why I did what I did so other people reading these would know.
I am getting old in my head most of all and find some short things written hard to understand what is meant

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
5 Years Ago by Delerna
vidi
vidi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

I see it also a sweet additional to the value Information in this tread 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

OK, silly me...….. I especially apologize to you Vidi.
It was what you wrote that got me thinking I was being laughed at for writing so much.
If you had added a little something like this new post in the other one I would have understood what you were saying.

All of what has happened here from what you wrote and how I felt about it is definitely not that big a deal, however I will add this.
In real life it is the sound of the voices of the person making a statement that helps us understand what they are saying.
But in texture only ...…. there is no voice sounds to help all people understand.
That's a big reason why I write so much text when I write text, I try to make it as obvious as possible what I am saying especially If I am being funny. 

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
5 Years Ago by Delerna
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

I have shared that image on many sites and threads on the subject of UV unwrapping
as thought it was cute and illustrated the concept well.
I must admit I have never gotten a reaction like this before w00t
I am Australian though, perhaps we think a bit differently Crying

Reading This Topic