Daz Characters+Iray Plugin

Posted By Emory_Ahlberg 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Emory_Ahlberg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello All,

I searched, but had trouble finding a definitive answer. I'm primarily a Daz user. I've had iClone 7 for a couple years, but haven't used it yet because I love the quality of iRay.

Now that iClone has iRay, I'm wondering if Daz characters are now imported with all their iRay render settings?

That is, would they render the same way in the exact same lighting conditions in both programs?

Thanks!
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
No, the Iray rendering for iClone will be using iClone's 'version' of the materials imported over from Daz.
It will not have the same construct and thus not the same look, innately anyway. 
What can be done is to go into the Iray materials in iClone and play with settings until you do get the look you are hoping to, but the materials in iClone unfortunately are not nearly as expansive with the many channels and parameters that Daz Iray has.
Emory_Ahlberg
Emory_Ahlberg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)Veteran Member (670 reputation)

Ah, okay. That's disappointing. Thank you for your reply!
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
The iClone materials are converted to Iray materials and you can also assign them yourself. So if the Iray materials that DAZ uses are available somehow you should be able to do something. I'm speculating, as I haven't tried this, but the situation may not be as grim.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Emory_Ahlberg
Emory_Ahlberg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Hmmm! Well, yes, they're available in my Daz content. 
So you think I'd be able to apply the materials in iClone?
I'm surprised this isn't standard since both Daz and iClone now have iRay capability.
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Emory_Ahlberg (11/1/2019)
I'm surprised this isn't standard since both Daz and iClone now have iRay capability.

What you have to remember is that Iray is the mechanical Render Engine with a material format, MDL.  That's it. 
The underlying material formulation version (parameters, channels) for the MDL are different per application version:

It's not like you can take the whole 'material setup' with all of its settings and parts (ie the FACE material) and export from Daz and import to iClone.
What you are doing is merely exporting the texture maps and then transferring the texture maps to somewhat-corresponding material slots in iClone.
The basic channels in iClone are there (Metallic, Roughness, Diffuse, Normal/Bump, Displacement, etc).  But all the things that make Daz Iray so fancy (Dual lobe spec, Transmission, Metallic Flakes) are not found in iClone innately, so you have to recreate them in the iClone Iray material-area best you can.  It will be work.  You have to not use iClone material-tab as the material control, you have to use the Iray material-tab as the material control.

Edited
5 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Emory_Ahlberg (11/1/2019)

The transformation of a character from DAZ does not include Iray materials, as those would not be usable by the iClone native renderer. So that's why a conversion or a reassignment is needed.

There is an Iray material library available for iClone, and I think you can download materials as well. It has not been easy to get the Iray renderer to work in iClone and there are still some shortcomings. I don't think that full compatibility with the DAZ Iray renderer (including materials) is a high priority.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic