Profile Picture

How to export Expressions to Unreal

Posted By philippmo 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
philippmo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi,
I really like the new 3.1 update. Great addition that you can export Mesh and Motion separately.
But i struggle with exporting Expressions. For example the Face expressions from the Supermodels collection.

How can I export Face expressions to Unreal?
kmitchell.12catblackstudio...
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
What are you trying to do? Get the expression to export with the animation or have seperate expressions that you can use in engine? Like use animation A with expression happy at 50%? 

philippmo
philippmo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)Senior Member (310 reputation)

I basically want my motions and my expressions exported separately.
So that I can later animate in the Unreal Engine Sequencer. 
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

What I have planned currently is to Export animations all with a base resting face. Then 2 things that's can happen is to either have a 1 frame motion plus that is just the animations of the face. Then make a animation BP synced to a emotion variable to blend to based on call backs to the actor in sequencer. Or. Get a list of the morphs affected by the facial expression and the map these to datasets to apply to the actor via sequencer callbacks. I want to eventually get into the expression caching they added from fortnite to share expression across multiple actors. Then theres only one setup to get a expression library and apply this to any character setup.  

philippmo
philippmo
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Well, that sounds awfully complicated.

I just want to do in Unreal what I can do in iClone.
Combine my "sitting"-Motion with a "smile" expression or some other expression like "angry", "sad", "surprised" etc.
This way I only would have to load the "sitting"-Motion once and still be flexible on how to use it.
Hopefully this will get implemented in a future update.
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Unless you bake the expression in the animaiton you would still need to apply the morph data in some way in UE4. Either through persona or through the apply morph  via code. One thing you could do to make it simple is to save out the pose with the face expression and then in persona you will have morphs keys in the animation that you can modify, so if you want to modifiy the expression you can do it there. You can also add custom morph keys there with the add curve variable, this would be similar to the custom slide they have in IClone Face Key.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b478e0ca-5b1d-42d0-95e1-a4cb.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f894cef7-3674-49aa-9534-cdf3.jpg

To do a test of an expression in UE4 you can go to the Mesh / Morph Target Preview and fromthere play with the exported expression weights. But since this is a preview you can write down the values and add keys for them in the animation manually. But as you said before that would be more work but you have that flexibility to do which ever you want. 

More data on this: 

Using Morph Targets in Sequencer. This would be way more manual than making an expression animation BP state for your character. 
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/547416/using-morph-targets-in-sequencer.html

This is what I was talking about before but once you make it once which looks time consuming you can just share this with any actor: 
https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Animation/AnimPose/Facial-Animation-Sharing/index.html

Older live stream covering using morph targets in general in ue4: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wWGaJL_Q_8

Personally if I were to take time on doing anything Id do the second link. So I never have to do this again... everything else is a per character solution. And all of CC3 characters are pretty much the same with morphs. Doing this processess once and never again sounds like a much better solution. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by kmitchell.12catblackstudios

Reading This Topic