endless freezes and crashes

Posted By johnwarndt52 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I had iclone 7.41 and it never froze, never crashed.
Then I updated to iclone 7.61 and it does NOTHING BUT freeze and crash.
Just when I was beginning to make some real progress on my project.
My question is simple: How do I get v 7.41 back? I'm old and I'm sick and I have thrown away too much of my life and too many brain cells learning how to use 7.41 that I am simply not willing to throw away any more learning to cope with these updates. I mean, they freeze my whole damn pc and I have to yank the cord. (Thank you, but no, Task Manager doesn't work. I mean the cursed thing freezes, completely.)
Please, just tell me how to get 7.41 back. Can I do a clean reinstall, with 7.41? What hoops will I have to jump through for that?
I have brain damage and a lifelong learning disability due to acute lead poisoning when I was little. Learning how to use iclone hasn't been easy.
PS I don't need anything having to do with gaming. I just want iclone for making animations.
Edited
5 Years Ago by johnwarndt52
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi John

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with iClone 7.61.

We are not seeing other reports of this freezing issue so it doesn't look like a general iClone 7.61 problem. My own version of iClone 7.61 is very stable and doesn't crash or freeze at all so something else is at play here.

In theory you could simply uninstall iClone 7.61 and then reinstall 7.41 but you may run into problems if you have saved projects or other content since upgrading to version 7.61.

I would check that the issue isn't related to just a particular project. Try opening one of the sample projects that come with iClone and see if the freezing still occurs with them. If it doesn't then it may be that your project has reached a size or complexity that iClone can no longer open and maintain stability.

Overall I would advise contacting Technical Support and send them your dxdiag.txt if the issue is with all projects. They can then check to see if there is an obvious cause of the crashes. They may also be able to send you the 7.41 installer if you do not have it.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

wires
wires
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Assuming that you have saved all of the 7.41 installer files, Resource packs etc. you just need to uninstall 7.61 and then reinstall 7.41.

Do make sure that you are connected to the internet during both the uninstall and reinstall.

There aren't really any hoops to jump through, but you need to be aware that any custom work that you have saved with 7.61 will not be usable in 7.41. The last Resource pack that was released was for 7.32 so nothing has changed there, you just need to reinstall it after the iClone installation has completed.

Also, if you have 3DXchange and Character Creator 3 you will have to roll back both of them to ensure that they work with 7.41.

Peter was quicker on the keyboard. Smile

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
5 Years Ago by wires
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Peter, thanks. I think it may have been one particular file. I started all over and it hasn't happened once yet (knock on wood.) But I'll do what you say if it starts happening again.
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wires, thanks,  but like I just told Peter it hasn't happened since I started over with an entirely new file. So maybe that one was just corrupt. I wasn't looking forward to re-installing it, because last time it took me all night!
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
John,

I had a similar problem recently -- a project which *shouldn't* have had issues was giving me no end of issues.  In the end I suspect it was a combination of being too many avatars loaded into memory at once (even with 12GB a practical size is around three or four avatars at the most -- if you use more make sure you use the LOD capabilities of CC3 to reduce them to background characters) as well as some odd issues with Speedtrees (I think the newer versions of iClone have issues with *some* Speedtrees -- I haven't had the time or inclination to track this down but clearly this one project which only had four species would crash iClone in very peculiar ways that nothing else has).

In general when you have very odd freezeups or crashes it's always best to step back, as Peter implies, although I would load in a default project as a last resort.  Just assume, at the beginning, there is something with your project that's causing an issue and delete things one at a time (saving out each time as a different version) until you get something stable.  Then you will know what is causing the specific problem and can deal with it accordingly.  The reverse method (starting back from scratch and reloading things until it crashes) can also be done if it's easier but in either case the idea is to isolate things.

Best of luck to you -- under most circumstances iClone is VERY stable.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
@John-
I will reiterate what wires-Gerry said and warn that if a project is saved in 7.61, it will NOT then load in 7.4.
Now, if you made a separate copy of saves for 7.61, and had one created in 7.4 that thus far has only been saved in 7.4, that will still load in 7.4.
But again, just in case your only scene file was saved in 7.61, you're better off working with 7.61 now.  Unless you recreate the whole thing in 7.4.
Which brings me then to another point, you could try to recreate the whole thing in 7.61.

In any event, good luck!
Edited
5 Years Ago by TonyDPrime
johnwarndt52
johnwarndt52
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Now I'm really screwed.
It froze again, so badly that Task Manager wouldn't shut it down, and I had to yank the power cord. But then when I rebooted, all I got was a black screen saying: "Preparing for Automatic repair." Then just that spinning circle on a black screen, with the brand of the pc (power spec.) It's been hours.
I'm using an old windows 7 pc with no antivirus protection on it to log on here. (So as not to have to pay double for the antivirus, I had to uninstall it to load it on the brand new $800 pc I bought to use iclone on..)
iclone 7.61 has been nothing but grief for me. And now it looks like it's RUINED the pc I bought to use it on. I'm such a goddamn fool. I should have NEVER upgraded. 
Edited
5 Years Ago by johnwarndt52
Dragonskunk
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

I find it hard to blame iClone for blowing up your PC. There are so many other things that cause it to fail, iClone is an intensive use of a computer so If there was anything fragile about your system the software that is task hungry will reveal its weakness.
My best guess.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Edited
5 Years Ago by Dragonskunk

Reading This Topic