Wave system - concept

Posted By 4u2ges 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
This post by Ascensi inspired me to try figuring the concept of the demonstrated waves system.
If I figured it right the waves are generated by moving a rigid object under the soft cloth, which is a very cool idea.
With right texture and different physics settings it can produce neat result moving series of waves.

Basically a quad mesh plane made a soft cloth (pinned at the far end) is resting on the rigid cube stretched to a little over the size of the plane.
Then there is another rigid object (wave maker) stretched across the water quad plane. This object is animated to raise and then move from back to the front creating a moving wave.
As water cloth is *settled* a bit, a wave maker is moved to the back and is ready to generate another wave.

Here is quick concept demonstration (iClone video texture and some static displacement map is used for the quad mesh plane):

mark
mark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
That looked very good I must say! Smile

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
That's a very creative solution, and it was surprisingly effective and convincing.
Thanks a lot for sharing..

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Thanks guys.
Here is an Iray render and iClone blueprint demo.
Suppose with better texture and more careful wave maker animation tweaking the outcome could be more convincing.

Another variation with a foam. Foam is made from a textured plane attached to wave maker.
Animated by scaling and varying texture tiles on a timeline.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 53 minutes ago
great idea, very promising . Thank you Ascensi and 4u2ges , very inspiring

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Thanx for revealing findings BigGrin

As I spend quite a lot on assets, I decided to simply buy it and give it a try.
And the credits definitely belong to Ascensi for having this brilliant idea...

Here is my first result:

That's good enough for me to get some ocean in my movies...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Just a heads up, I managed to get a boat working with the waves @toystorylab   I will be updating the package soon with an example. 

After that i'll be working on stormy waves and the surfing type. Rivers will be another thing to try.

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank for the update folks. As I said, very cool idea with whole lot of potentials.
Hope you don't mind me revealing your secrets Smile

Ascensi
Ascensi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It is a bit disheartening, as I spent days on getting everything correct Iray Material and then figuring all the particulars but in the end i know it's a cloth based effect and anyone could have done the same in the last couple years or might even examine all the details and tell others. So as I try to find the means to support myself I wonder if the time spent on figuring this stuff out for others is worth it. But the product still makes good for those that wouldn't know how to set things up and it comes with everything to save people the time and frustration to figure these things out for themselves.  Overall I see that it's good that you're showing people that I'm not selling snake oil Smile
as some might of wondered. I've tuned everything in my project, but your off to a good start.  I was wondering for a bit why you didn't use the included realistic Iray Material from my package Wink

Store Page Link 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/906a14b0-c792-4382-99ee-7dfe.jpg
AMD 4.5 GHz 16 Cores  | 128 GB | RTX 4090 | Window11 | Houdini FX 18.5 | Zbrush 2023 | Maya 2014 | Adobe CS6 | Sonar Producer X3 | iC8, CC4 | DTS Master Audio Suite | Perception Neuron 32 Alum Edition | Akeytsu 

Edited
5 Years Ago by Ascensi
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@Ascensi Time is of an essence in most production environments. And soft cloth physics is one of the most time consuming feature to deal with.
As you said not many people are willing to get under the hood for broken belt replacement. So I am sure you are going to sell lots of copies. Wink

In other news Smile ... As I dug deeper into this I found out that Iray does not really like displacement maps.
While iClone has no problem dealing with displacements, Iray would suffer greatly.
(Suppose there was a reason they put "Preview Tessellations and Displacements" check box there).

OK, so I went a little overboard with this. 80K tris for a foam plane and tiled displacement map for it.

The Iray initialization went from a few seconds to whooping 10 minutes... Wonder why??

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dd117514-95e9-4b6b-8e5c-0f50.jpg

Only after displacement map removal I got normal initialization and render times

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6b2bb863-0215-4659-833c-fa51.jpg

I could probably draw the same with regular base color texture. But still wonder if it is NVIDIA, or iClone implementation deficiency.

UPDATE: The "Light hierarchy..." message gave me a clue... It is problem with lights.. not displacement. Or rather combination
I also have a Glow map for the foam plane. If I take glow map out and leave displacement in place I also get normal initialization times.

Glow map is considered a light source. And it looks like displacement map multiplies light sources for the mesh which otherwise should be just 1 (one).
And this is where 10 minutes delay is coming from. Definitely a bug and I would report it after more tests....

Edited
5 Years Ago by 4u2ges

Reading This Topic