[Help requested] Moving from stepped into spline

Posted By Pitapan 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Pitapan
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi everybody! I come to you today because I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've always animated in spline without blocking animations out first. I realized this can be a bit of a problem as I'm always trying to tweak the inbetweens as I go and it can be a lengthy process.
I decided that it'd be worth my while to try to learn how to properly block out my animations before I start polishing them, and I found that getting a finished block out, to get a feel for timing and such, was significantly faster than animating straight ahead with splined curves.

However I of course run into the problem I'm having right now. Once I've finished a block out and I like how it looks and feels, I'll switch the tangents from stepped to flat, and find that the animation becomes an almost unrecognizable mess. The inbetweens don't come out as I intended/expected. Is this normal?

So my question is this: What do I do from this point? Do I go back into stepped and add more inbetweens (My block out consists of 2's and 4's) or do I polish while I've splined the curves? I'm worried that if I start adding keys all over the place, the animation is going to look incredibly jittery and even more inconsistent then it is right now, and what if I DO start adding keys and feel like the timing is off later down the line?
BlueyCreative
BlueyCreative
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
OK, I can only explain from how I do it. I block out the largest moves first to get my timing and tell the story. Then I go and add manual keyframes for the in-betweens every 2, these are usually only minor movements like over stretch ect to keep the organics. from there once i move into spline it only auto generates minor in-betweens so the motion looks like i intended. From there it's over to the curve editor to tweak the movements. Still takes time but usually works out OK.

Bluey Creative in the Marketplace

Reading This Topic