Profile Picture

Game Base and Facial Animation

Posted By reptilebeats 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
reptilebeats
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)Senior Member (469 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hi guys I have hit a bump in the road trying to use character creator, merge material function, maya and Iclone in my pipeline.

So what I want to do is use the merge material function in Character creator to combine all the textures into one which only allows you to export the character after this process, this then goes against CC's own warning of not being able to import it a model back in once the UV's have been changed. This would mean that I would have to re import the character using the pipeline tools which seem counter-intuitive when it's the same mesh and rig, and when i did try this I had problems getting the facial animation working again, and I believe it also removes the possibility of refining the character back in CC (not 100% sure on this).

Now i could forgo the merge material function and do this myself later but this is going to break the artists workflow as the textures are not finished yet, so once the textures are finished on the current base they will need to mapped to the new UV's, not difficult but takes time.

Next I want to give the character to my animator to use in Maya but at the same time i either need to be able to import the animation back into Iclone or transfer the facial capture to the optimised character in maya or Unity, only tested in Unity and this doesn't work.
Im going to continue trying different methods to get this streamlined as it needs to be flexable, ie different animation layers including facial capture that can be mapped to production rig

Is there some documentation on best practices of doing this, ie using facial capture and body animation?
What i really want is a non destructive workflow but it seems like some of the new features are not fully supported yet, I have watched a few videos but they only get to the point of exporting your character out of CC and into Unity, they don't explain how to then apply animations (mainly using the facial capture animations) onto the character after the fact.

Reading This Topic