Motion Setting Options explanation?

Posted By Hookflash 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Hookflash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Does anyone understand how Animation -> Motion Setting Options (Align Actor Motion, Align to Actor Orientation, Reset Motion Root, and Reset Motion Root Rotation) actually works in iClone 7? I know they all have something to do with actor roots and motion roots differing between motion clips, but the manual does a very poor job of explaining things clearly (either that or I'm dumb ;-)) and I haven't noticed any changes when I toggle them on or off.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 29 minutes ago

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Hookflash
Hookflash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)

I'm just having difficulty understanding the difference between "Align Actor Motion" and "Reset Motion Root", as they both seem to do the same thing: Ensuring that the character's position at the start of a motion clip is the same as their position at the end of the previous clip. Would it be advised that I just keep them all enabled and forget about it?
The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I think the "Align Actor Motion" will make sure that the Actor root is moved along with the motion root. So both are synced so the next clip will start where the character end up. So this basically affect the character not the actual motion clip. Only where the motion clip will start.
The "Reset Motion Root" is for the motion clip itself. If for some reason the clip was recorder away from 0,0,0 point say 100,0,0 it will move the character to x=100. To prevent that, the clip itself need to be offset so it start from 0,0,0 so it offset all keys in the motion clip.

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD
Hookflash
Hookflash
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks The-any-key, I think I understand now. Sort of;-)

Reading This Topic