Iray Render video question

Posted By will2power71 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
will2power71
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I was watching the Iray render preview video. About 18 seconds in, there's a scene with a knight swinging a sword. In the background there's a torch burning. I was wondering if this effect was a popcornfx effect or was it achieved some other way? Can anyone shed some light on how it was done? It would really be nice if there was support for popcornfx but I'll settle for being able to do a campfire or a torch with Iray in some fashion. This is the video I was referring to. 

Edited
5 Years Ago by will2power71
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Good observation. It can't be Popcorn or other particle, so what is it?

I looked closely at the clip and to me it looks like a video texture. There is no light coming from it and it is kind of flat. A video texture would render in Iray.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

will2power71
will2power71
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Truth be told, I would not be so hesitant to embrace Iray if there were support for PopcornFX. Reallusion spent so much time giving us these neat tools and then they give us a render engine that can't render them. It's like they forgot. So if I want to switch to Iray, I can't do fire or muzzle fire or any of the other wonderful improvements that have come through. Hopefully, someone will come to their senses and work towards getting their Iray render to support PopcornFX. Personally, I think it would probably be easier for them to get their built in renderer to do SSS. I'm a fan of specific plugins to a point --but not when it cuts you off from doing the things you want to do.
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

I have to agree. I have Iray and I like working with it, but there is no word about PopcornFX support. As I've said elsewhere it would be nice to know if it is technically impossible or if it just needs to be implemented. 

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

I've often wondered about doing some sort of compositing, but I never seem to get around to doing the experiments.

Could you turn *everything* in your scene into some sort of light-and-shadow catchers and then add PopcornFX particles.  The objects could maybe get "lit" by the effects, and also hide particles that fall behind your objects.  Imagine everything being a flat black, for example, with no lighting other than the PopcornFX.  Could  you then composite that on top of your Iray render in your NLE?

I've not even had time to launch iClone for the last 3 weeks, and I miss it.  I look forward to having "hobby time" again.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

will2power71
will2power71
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I understand what you're getting at Justaviking. If I really have to, I'm prepared to do something like that, but only as a last resort. The thing about iClone's native Renderer is that Popcornfx just works and that's a tremendous timesaver. If I did it, I might be able to accomplish it but how much time do you lose having to setup each scene twice and render twice in order to get the result you're after. You're losing a lot in the process. The thing that keeps iClone a workable solution is that it's fast. With Iray being slower you're already loosing a bit when it comes to speed. It makes it seem like you're erasing your gains when you look at it like that. 

Still, I guess if you can set the scene up and render just the PopcornFX elements I guess you could make an overlay if you rendered an image sequence. I imagine if you used PopVideo 3 you could creatively remove the people if you were to render the people elements as a single color that you can use to make transparent in PopVideo 3 --then you could overlay the effects only on each image sequence. It's one of those things where if you want to take advantage of Iray you're going to have to get really creative to keep using your effects with it. I suppose I'll have to do some serious experimenting and see if it's possible. 
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Maybe someone else will do the experiment before I get around to it, but I picture how sparks fall and bounce off objects (or people), and some bounce in front of the object and some bounce behind it (and are hidden), so you'd need some sort of "invisible" object to make the particles behave correctly, so that when you composite it you get reasonably correct behavior.  It might be a reasonable workaround for a way to blend PopcornFX with Iray.  *Might*

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

In live-action film effects are combined afterwards all the time, so there must be established techniques. I just wish I knew more about compositing, which is a blank area for me right now...Unsure Blush Blink

ian_11
ian_11
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)Veteran Member (957 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi animagic / Guys,

This is not a problem for me FX can be added in later using Ater Effects (post production editing using AE & Motion Tracking).

I have a question about Animations with NVIDIA

My pc spec:

Intel Core i7 7700K
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
RAM 32 GIG
SSD 860 1TB
MAXIMUS IX FORMULA
GeForce GTX 1070 8 GIG
Totla hard drives 6 total space (10TB)

So my question, I saw this demo video on reclusion’s website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yhy-YMnQYc

How long would it take my pc to output that video. Is it worth me getting another GeForce GTX 1070 8 GIG (as my motherboard can take 2 graphic cards)? Please advise as this is very confusing.

Best

Ian
3dtester
3dtester
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
ian_11 (3/23/2019)

How long would it take my pc to output that video. Is it worth me getting another GeForce GTX 1070 8 GIG (as my motherboard can take 2 graphic cards)?

Hi Ian,

i suppose you are only referring to any of these rendered clips that are put together using a compositing software.
As a simple example, to render a 10 seconds clip in Iray, with your card it would take at least a few hours (depends on settings).
You can imagine then how long it will take to render all the clips.

As for my own experience, the switch from a 1070 to a 1080ti almost doubled the render speeds for me.
I don't know if a second 1070 will do the same (iClone can't render on both cards at the same time to my knowledge).

Best regards,
3dtester

Reading This Topic