Profile Picture

Scaling issues with interface on 4K monitor, 3DXchange crashes.

Posted By veithdan 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Scaling issues with interface on 4K monitor, 3DXchange crashes.

Author
veithdan
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I recently bought a new system with decent gaming/video editing specs to run iClone. It has a Nvidia RTX-2070. I wanted a system that could comfortably run iRay. I also got a 43" 4K monitor to view my renders. When I launched iClone 7.4, or Character Creator 3, the interface elements of both programs were so small as to be unreadable from a seated position. I read the forums to see if I could run across "the cure", but I didn't see an obvious one. I also noticed that every time I tried to launch 3DXchange Pro it would flash the opening window graphic, then crash immediately to the desktop. I decided to try downsizing my display by switching to my  LG 28" 1080 monitor, and viola! It works! The controls and menus of both programs were pleasing to the eye, and very legible in 1080 scaling. I also found that I was now able to launch 3DXchange without it crashing and I was able to import some .obj meshes.  
To be honest, I was disappointed. The models as displayed in the viewport looked like they were tattered. The same models, which I had carefully constructed in Wings3D, rendered very nicely in Carrara 8, Bryce 7,  Blender, and Wings3D using a plugin renderer. I thought I would mention my experience in the hope that it might be helpful. I do hope that a scaling solution for using the interface with a 4K display is in the works, or you've already developed one. I also hope that the .obj import in 3DXchange can be repaired. I have a "warehouse" of 3D assets I've built that I'm dying to bring into iClone. Thanks

DavidinLA
DavidinLA
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Same problem trying to use my 5K iMAC via bootcamp. I've had to scale down to 1080 so 3DXchange will run. Not my favorite solution and isn't this 2019? Last time I remember having scaling issues was when we all got new VGA cards and upgraded from CGA in I think the mid 80s.

Thankfully, I haven't had the same issues with iClone or Character Creator.
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
I also use a 43" 4k monitor, and I have no problems. I have display scaling set to 125%. 

3DXchange does not crash for me, although there has been other reports mentioning that.

I changed the DPI scaling setting, because the UI font is indeed small:
  1. Have a shortcut, right-click and select "Properties".
  2. Click the Compatibility tab and select "Change high DPI settings".
  3. Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and select "System (Enhanced)" from the drop-down.
  4. Click OK and OK to close the dialog.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
@veithdan: What problems are you experiencing with obj import as I have not had problems with that.

Also, it may be helpful to show some screenshots of the visual issues you mention.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

DavidinLA
DavidinLA
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)Veteran Member (791 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I saw a post, I think by you, describing the method of changing the settings in Properties/Compatibility and I tried those settings when 3DXchange was opening very small (like for ants.) . It was after I tried those that 3DXchange started crashing on every open. So I changed the settings back and the crashing continued. Setting the screen to 1920x1080 fixed the crashing but I'd really rather use the 4K or 5K screen. I sent a note to support. I haven't looked to see what they say yet.

(Note, I'm using Windows via Bootcamp on an iMac to use the Reallusion software.)
Dan Miller
Dan Miller
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I also use a 43" 4k monitor, and I have no problems. I have display scaling set to 125%. 

3DXchange does not crash for me, although there has been other reports mentioning that.

I changed the DPI scaling setting, because the UI font is indeed small:
  1. Have a shortcut, right-click and select "Properties".
  2. Click the Compatibility tab and select "Change high DPI settings".
  3. Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and select "System (Enhanced)" from the drop-down.
  4. Click OK and OK to close the dialog.

This fixed it for me, thank you.

Reading This Topic