How long does the Iray Render take

Posted By parisgranville 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
parisgranville
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)Veteran Member (640 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Since the iray trial does not allow you to render. I am wondering how long it takes to render 1 frame in the iray plugin. This will vary widely by hardware and scene, but how does it compare to daz studio?
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
A "DAZ Iray render" and an "iClone Iray render" will have similar rendering times... provided the scenes are actually similar.

For me, I "budget" 2 minutes per image, ranging from 1 to 3 minutes pre frame.

It all depends on what quality you need, the specifics of the scene, and what "shortcuts" you might want to take.  For example, do you really need "caustics" turned on?

If the trial doesn't allow you to render at all (not even with a water mark?  That's lame), another option is the BUY the plug-in and TEST IT EXTENSIVELY FOR A WEEK.  Reallusion DOES HONOR their RETURN POLICY.  So you have a 14-day window in which to get a refund if it's not going to work for you.

To me, the plug-in was worthwhile as an "educational" learning opportunity in addition to whatever actual use I might get, even though rendering even a 10-minute video in Iray is something I will probably not do anytime in the next couple of years.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Hi, I don't use daz studio but with my machine (you see the spec in my profil) with the minimum parameters who are okay for me, and for the result who is okay for me (not for everybody) 15 s of animation takes 2H to 2H30

3Aliens
3Aliens
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Im just rendering a Picture about 20 Minutes on an Rtx2090 Plus. I just builded a new Pc, and im a little bit afraid a Scene with 800 rames need Weeks
Schnappschnulli
Schnappschnulli
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)

oh, well... already thought i am doing something wrong... rendering with a "slightly powerful" machine... rtx 3090, amd ryzen 9 5950X, 64 GB ram and rendering 200 frames still takes like 10 hours?... thats a little disappointing
i really like the results, but this means, i cant really use my computer for a couple days, if i want to render a scene of a few minutes.... probably should go with lesser settings
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 26 minutes ago
Schnappschnulli (11/5/2021)
oh, well... already thought i am doing something wrong... rendering with a "slightly powerful" machine... rtx 3090, amd ryzen 9 5950X, 64 GB ram and rendering 200 frames still takes like 10 hours?... thats a little disappointing
i really like the results, but this means, i cant really use my computer for a couple days, if i want to render a scene of a few minutes.... probably should go with lesser settings

How many iterations have you set it to?

By using a lower number and then applying denoising you should get more reasonable render times. The hope is that Omniverse will be faster.

Also, I'm not sure if the renderer makes use of RTX optimization. It doesn't seem to get updated really.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by animagic
waleshire
waleshire
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Did you ever see any improvement with this? My setup is similar to yours, I've got a 3090rtx and a 5950. Rendering a single frame takes an insane amount of time but I'm new to rendering in iRay so I didn't know what to expect.
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

I bought the iRay rendering package because it looked so much better than the default. However, I create video content which require massive numbers of rendered images (30 per second) and iRay was WAY TOO SLOW for that. If you only need static images, it might be a great tool. For video, I would not recommend it.
That said, Reallusion is a good company that honors its return policies. As was previously mentioned you can buy it, test it for yourself and keep it if it meets your needs.

Let us know how it goes!

- Jeff

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
as a rule of thumb for all ray tracing engines -  the more shadows you have,  the longer the render takes.  This is why low poly meshes render the fastest,  less faces means less shadows to calculate - and also why it's a big deal for real time rendering.    In iclone you don't have to worry about it as much,  because iclone doesn't ray trace calculated shadows,  more like a generic blocking of light -  but it still bogs down with large textures and meshes being loaded to ram.

Moral of this post -  the lower the polycount,  the faster it is to render,  and this is where great texturing shines as it keeps the detail in the textures / normal and bump maps without requiring a greater poly- face count from the mesh.

Edited
2 Years Ago by planetstardragon
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
IRay is a dumb , brute force path tracer that was created to sell NIVIDIA hardware to the Arch vis industry.
It comes free with Daz studio and 99% of the Daz user base are still portrait artists, NOT animators.
It does not even have motion blur
I tried to warn the Iclone user base that Iray was not a render engine for animated film production but many seemed to believe that Reallusion would magically convert it to a “realtime” engine.
Of course if you need high quality still  images its quite useful

Its all Moot now as you have Both the UE5 live link as well as the omniverse
and the improved engine coming next month in IC8. 
As for animation,  ,let IRay take its place, along side Indigo, in the rubbish bin of Iclone history.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

Reading This Topic