MaxScript Tool: CC3 Rig to 3ds Biped

Posted By mattrified 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
mattrified
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I have and am currently working on a tool to "constrain" CC3 rigs to 3ds max bipeds.  The goal is that those working with the 3ds max biped -- for whatever reason, in my case preference -- you can animate just the 3ds biped and the original rig will move with it.  The original rig and its animation can then be exported to game engines such as Unity.

I wanted to share it here to see if this is something people would be interested in and maybe some feedback on how to improve it or feature wish list.
Here's a video demoing it:  

Summary:
  • Import the exported CC3 character.  
  • Run the script and assign the different bones to correlate to the different biped bones.  
  • A few unique nodes such as the fingertip nubs needs to be created; this doesn't take long but may be something I eventually automate.
  • Then you press the "Build Helper Biped" button which should create a biped that matches the size of the imported CC3 rig.  
  • The green dummies or "faux rig" elements then are rotated by 90 degrees on various axis so that when the biped joint is aligned to it, it matches the CC3 rig.  This process is a bit tedious, BUT I've already done it for one CC3 character, so in theory, it should work for any of them with the text file you can load that holds name and rotation data.
  • Finally, the tool creates a combination of orientation and position constraints so the original rig is now constrained to the biped.
This is essentially an update to a similar tool I made like 2 years ago:  .  You can read more about it here:  http://www.mattrifiedgames.com/maxscript-constrain-to-biped/

The advantage of this tool is it no longer conforms the original rig to fit the biped but instead fits the biped to the original rig.  This new tool also allows for animations to be captured and transferred to the biped:  

Thank you for your time.

mattrified
mattrified
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)Veteran Member (758 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Wrote about it more as well as a download link at the end here:  http://www.mattrifiedgames.com/maxscript-constrain-to-biped-2-0/ .
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Thanks for taking the time to share this with the community. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic