Profile Picture

Importing Characters To Unreal via Your Official Youtube Tutorials, Not Getting Good Results

Posted By kultured 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Importing Characters To Unreal via Your Official Youtube Tutorials,...

Author
kultured
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello,
I recently got started with CC3 as a solution to get custom character meshes into unreal engine and to use them with the Unreal default skeleton. While I am able to get the character into Unreal 4 and it "works" the model looks really bad and has a lot of issues. I have followed all the Reallusion tutorials for importing and optimizing the materials and textures. I have attached some screenshots of my results. What my screenshots don't show is what happens when i turn the camera around the screen, the skin and hair diffuses and has trails both forward and behind of the direction of the camera movement, it looks really bad compared the the default unreal mesh. I know these issue can be fixed, I just need some assistance or pointed towards some better resources to clean the characters up once inside unreal. Has anyone dealt with these issues before? The screenshot should speak for itself.

Any help appreciated!!
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cc466b0e-071f-4bcf-a05b-8285.png
-Dalton
kultured
kultured
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)New Member (82 reputation)

To be more specific about the issues:

-Superglowing hands
-Glowing eye sockets
-Hair and skin on head going all over the screen or disappearing temporarily  when the camera is moving
-Haircut looking like a 5 year old hacked at her sisters hair

Haha, I am 10 months into blueprinting, but new to character modeling as you can tell. 
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Check if the materials of the character have any Glow maps.

For some reason they are added (this has been reported to RL) and that may be what you are seeing. I don't have Unreal, so I can't check myself.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

kultured
kultured
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

animagic:

I have checked and the materials do not have any "emissive color" as it is called in UE4. Since it does not look like any texture is plugged into that "emissive color port" on the materials, I do not think that is the issue.
OlanderDA
OlanderDA
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Perhaps a couple things to help in UE4 (4.21.1...I use it daily and my main Real Time Renderer at HD1080p)

First:
- Set your Light Source to no higher than 5.0 lux. You can go higher but on a 'Normal Lighted Day' 5.0 lux is just about perfect.
- Set the Temperature of your light...I set mine at 5200. This helps with less whitewash of texturing...which affects the materials. Basically I am adding some Natural Warmth to the lighting.
*I also use 100% fully dynamic lighting and shadows (lights set to motion and uncheck Allow Static Lighting...etc)

Second:
- Set up your base material with as few nodes as possible.
- The specular color RGB shown below is 15,15,15....which is perfect for 98% of all PBR materials.....so no spec maps needed. Wink
     You can also use a constant of 0.02 in this slot for most static meshes....but 15,15,15 works better for things in motion.
- You can also parameter some values to change them at runtime....I usually have the textures, Metallic, and Roughness as parameters and never play with the specular channel.
- You can get more complicated than this but if you use Photoshop/Gimp to process your textures you will not need to....and it saves a ton of real time memory and speed. Wink
- Your skin can look fantastic with the material shown below and your lighting tuned.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3c06302f-fcb3-4d9a-854d-835e.png

Third:
- Never use the textures directly from CC3. I know Kai does this in the vids but he also edits them all and unchecks the sRGB flag in the textures (they are very much over exposed).
- Process your textures through Photoshop/Gimp and tune the Brightness and Contrast to get them how you want.
- Desat your skin and turn up the contrast a bit to make your Normal Maps in Photoshop CC or Gimp with Normal Map filter add on. Use 3x3 and adjust the smoothing how you want it....play around. I use 0.5 in PS and 3.0 in Gimp.
- Once you figure out what values you need....write them down or save them in a text file take pics whatever....I use OneNote for this stuff.

Go through the above and you will have stunning skin and clothing. For hair you can use masked mode to get you started but eventually you will need a soft hair solution for the type of hair you end up using. I would stick with Plane/Card based hair and use Guassian Blur on your masks to soften the edging. No good way to explain that....just have to use it and see what happens.

Good Rendering!
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Kultured, you might have a black&white bump texture map from iClone imported into the normal map in UE4 maybe, that can make the rendered diffuse colors really screwy. 
Try disconnecting the normal maps in UE4 and see if this helps?
kultured
kultured
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the feedback guys. To be honest Olander, most of what you are recommending about the materials and textures are over my head. I would need to spend a lot more time learning about this stuff to know exactly what you are talking about right away just from reading that. I am definitely updating my lightsource however because I agree that its too intense, it seems to almost be blinding and not warm enough when reflecting shiny objects.

Update as to my progress. I didn't realize that the hand are not part of Skin_body textures. There are also skin_arms and skin_legs which I repeated the process in the tutorials online and that helped a lot with the skin. I also did that for the trousers because they were also very shiny before. 

My troubles that remain:
-HAIR, it looks so bad I am trying to research what else I could try. I might try to replace all the textures for something else. 
-EYEBALLS, why do they look like they are inside my skull?

Update photo attachedhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/35d9d269-18cf-4023-a255-96c7.png

Miranda (RL)
Miranda (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (63.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Hi kultured,

This is Miranda from Reallusion. We are developing a plugin to automate the CC-to-Unreal process, and the plugin will be released early next week. Can you provide us the Unreal project via private message? We can check it what issues you encountered, and test it if the issues are solved via the auto process.

Unreal project: character & settings only (scene is not required)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9280d8e7-55dd-44d2-8fd8-779a.png

Reading This Topic