Profile Picture

sprite editor problems

Posted By denise.wilson1 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
denise.wilson1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Using dummy model, going into composer, identify hip bone, sprite editor shows up in side bar.  But when I click on sprite editor, it grays out and doesn't show up.  What am I doing wrong?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Denise

Which version of CTA3 are you using and are you using Windows or Mac?

Also are you able to open the Sprite Editor from Stage mode or does this not open either?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

denise.wilson1
denise.wilson1
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago

Let me say, I have no animation skills, and I thought that if I could use CTA, I might be able to create a passible animated video. So, I am using the latest trial version of CTA 3. This is not the first time I have tried CTA, but I have never been able to master it in the past.  This time I was determined to learn to use CTA and not get discouraged by my incompetence. The ads say that it is the simplest animation program around and anyone can do it.  I may be the exception to the rule.

At any rate, the sprite editor issue seems to be working now- I must have been doing something wrong before, don’t know what, however.  I am on a MacBook Air – MacOS Mojave, Version 10.14.2.

I am trying to follow along with the video tutorial, ‘Character Creation with G3 Template’. I am trying to make a dog, so used the dog dummy. Today I was able to replace dummy with my dog picture in sprite editor. One miracle accomplished. However, moving to the bone editor, I could only accomplish moving a bone by locking all the bones except the ones I wanted to move. I was able to, more or less. move the bones using this method.  But the little square boxes that show up on the video don't consistently show up for me when I try to move the bones., and I can’t figure out how to get them to appear. Also, there is no way I can move the bones as easily or precisely as in the tutorial.  Again, I must be doing something fundamentally wrong, but I feel I have followed all the steps in the tutorial religiously. Nevertheless, as I said, I managed (with much difficulty) to get the bones in my picture approximately where they should be.

Next step, ‘sprite import’. Well this didn’t work at all. Even though I checked ‘keep parent transform’, my sprites came in enormous and, even if I reduced their size, they often popped up enlarged again because in order to keep them small, I had to R or L click on my mouse, and this was tenuous, because by trying to move the sprites to the correct position (which I couldn’t do), I often couldn’t keep the mouse depressed correctly.   So total failure.

My thought about all of this, is that I don’t have Photoshop. So, although I created sprites (I actually created them in ‘Preview’ in my Mac) and saved them in PNG format, perhaps Photoshop is required to do many of these operations. But I didn’t want to invest in Photoshop, which I’m sure is way above my skill level, if I couldn’t use CTA. I apologize for this response, as I am sure it is much more information than you wanted to know.

Reading This Topic