Profile Picture

Question about Character Creator 3 and Hair.

Posted By sean.smgraphics 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sean.smgraphics
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I purchased Character Creator 3 with pipeline extension and Iray.
I expected this pipeline to have the option to create hair. A fundamental part of creating a character. Much like other, cheaper, software has done since the 90's

Yet apparently "Character Creator" does not allow us to make and style hair within it's own software? We require 3rd party modelers like Blender to do so?
Other than a couple presets, which I have yet to find sliders for, it seems there are no options to quickly create a character with this $200+ software I just paid for.
Is this correct?
I'm really hoping I'm missing something because after several hours of hunting, researching, and tutorials, all I can find is how to import hair from external software. And that is a major deal breaker for me.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 35 minutes ago
Hi Sean

Character Creator 3 allows you to create custom characters using morph sliders, but it isn't a traditional 3D modeller and doesn't allow creation of hair, clothing or accessories from within CC itself. What it does do is allow you to easily bring in hair, clothing and accessories from other sources. For example you can bring in any of the hundreds of hair styles from Daz3D.com which can then be applied to any CC character. In addition we also sell CC ready conforming hair packs to add to your CC library if you don't wish to go down the conversion route.

On a side note I'd be interested to know this cheap software from the 90's that created hair because I'm certainly not aware of it. From my experience creating realistic hairstyles has always been a job for 3D modelling software and that is an advanced process and not something done with a couple of clicks. Even high end software like Maya and 3DS Max do not have an easy solution for realistic hair creation to this day.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

sean.smgraphics
sean.smgraphics
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)Senior Member (465 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I believe it was 1998 or so when Poser 3 or 4 had something like nurb based TransHair.
Each nurb allowed us to take sections of the hair and bend or style it as we liked. It even had a comb tool. When it rendered, those nurbs became a factor of hairs based on a setting. So one nurb could be 10 hairs, or 10,000. It was very easy to create styles with it.
Props however still had to be imported.

I have not used many character creators since college back then. But I assumed that 20 years later everything would at least have that type of basic hair styling option by now. Especially when the software claims "Create characters in minutes."
I remember paying $60 for it. But that might have been the educational version with a student discount.
Edited
6 Years Ago by sean.smgraphics
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sean,

I'm going to guess the main issue is those hair approaches are okay for stills but for Real Time renders nothing can compare to polygon hair (which is why it's still the preferred way in most programs that do Real Time animation and games).

We're getting closer to the power needed for such approaches (which are essentially particle systems) but they still take a tremendous amount of resources.  The ones that don't are always harder to model with -- it's like the old "good, fast, cheap -- pick any two" of so many scenerios.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic