GTX 1080ti or RTX 2080ti or Titan XP?

Posted By animagic 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 hours ago
I have currently a Nvidia GTX 1080, which works fine, except that I run into VRAM limitations for iClone and also CC3.

So I thought, it's that time of the year again, and maybe I can upgrade to a GTX 1080 Ti with 11 GB of VRAM. A few months ago the prices were bad because of Bitcoin, and I hoped that they would be better now. Not so, if you can even find one.

I believe people have been hoarding them and are now selling them for around $1300 to $1500 (about twice what the card should cost). Introduction of the RTX 2080 Ti did not lower the price, as it normally would.

So my options are to wait or spend more money. If the latter, I'm looking at an RTX 2080 ti, which would give me the latest technology (but may have reliability issues) or a Titan XP, which has a solid reputation and also 1 GB VRAM more. I've seen it offered new for $1250, which is still a lot, but at least less than the 1080 ti.

I could buy a used card, but I'm not really excited about the prospect.

Anyway, any insights and experiences are welcome.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Ha! I consider exactly the same...
And i really wonder why all those 1080 Ti cards are gone Pinch
You almost don't find new ones in Germany for a fair price and even used ones get higher and higher.
As i read somewhere Nvidea has stopped manufacturing the 1080 Ti cards.
So, i also consider to wait for the 2080 Ti's get a bit cheaper...
Or i find a new 1080 Ti for a decent price Wink

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

I've read, and maybe a grain of salt is in order, that the founder's edition 20ti's have had the higher failure rate. Third party cards are fine.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
If you are talking strictly about iClone rendering, you can't beat the Titan.  My own is running rings around the 2080 (at least three or four times faster rendering).  

I think the "future technology" issues are only valid IF iClone is going to somehow support the 2080 specifically.  And I would say that's certainly improbable (or that if it comes, by that time 2080's will be dirt cheap).

For IRay I have no particular option -- not something I care anything about, and I've seen no benches that convince me one way or the other.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
my next card will probably be a 2080 (no ti) because of the speed.    I also was waiting for the prices of the 1080ti to drop but that doesnt seem to be happening so.. since I am "old" and "retired" I think the best I can do value for money is a 2080.   It will be a bit futureproof due to the ram its using.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

My days of being "first in line" or "discontinued bargains" are over... 6 months down the road seems like a more reasonable time to make 'expensive' decisions when talking GPUs.
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

I love my 1080ti. Not planning to upgrade until something truly magical comes along.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
Yes, 1080Ti is still awesome and affordable. Just a few month ago I picked up a second one on eBay for $640. It was per-owned but in perfect condition.

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

4u2ges (11/26/2018)
Yes, 1080Ti is still awesome and affordable. Just a few month ago I picked up a second one on eBay for $640. It was per-owned but in perfect condition.

So pre-owned is worth the risk then?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
animagic (11/26/2018)
4u2ges (11/26/2018)

So pre-owned is worth the risk then?

Of course, there is always a risk buying anything per-owned. But I'm trying to buy from reputable sellers on eBay. Though I don't make a lot of shopping there, I never had a case where something I bought was broken, or broke shortly thereafter. Maybe I was lucky Smile

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges

Reading This Topic