RTX 2080 ti. 1st impressions

Posted By TheOldBuffer 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
TheOldBuffer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/023e182e-eb3c-478e-adf3-4434.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c12a7aaa-9914-422f-b749-036f.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/023e182e-eb3c-478e-adf3-4434.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/40a9ae04-b044-403e-923b-3dd5.jpgAfter a 10 week wait my EVGA RTX 2080 ti XC Ultra is finally residing in my computer. Its not been plain sailing and there continues to be a problem which is affecting performance when using iClone. For some reason the native renderer is capped at 60% which still gives very reasonable figures especially compared to the GTX 970 that used to reside in there but is still lower than expected. When using Iray in character creator it is very quick and I'm getting very decent results with setting at 50 iterations and de-noiser set to start at frame 49. Since fitting tho I've not really spent much time using anything other than diagnostic apps to try resolve the power capping issues. There is a possibility that it's because my system only has pcie 2 and not pcie 3. If anyone has any possible answers I'd love to hear them
  The card has a very large heatsink and takes up 2.75 pcie bays so not a cat in hells chance of having 2 cards in there. Next year I'll be building a computer around the RTX to get maximum speed out of it. 
Going from a gtx 970 to the rtx has had all the joys that owners of 10 series cards have felt.... running on or close to 60 fps on all projects Ive  opened so far.  Ive also run firestorm on 3dMark and got some very good results and over 120 fps. I going to keep this thread updated as I try getting the rtx up to speed.

The card has some rgb leds that can be programmed inside precisionx1. Very pretty. I'll post s few pics later. 

Homebuilt computer - Windoze 10, INTEL i9 9900 k @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC ULTRA, 16GB 3100 MHz RAM, Asus  Maximus Hero XI motherboard, Sound blaster Z series. iClone6 & 7 Pipeline, Crazytalk 8, Crazytalk Animator 2, Facefilter, Pop video 3, Hitfilm 4Pro, Cubase 8.5 Pro,

Edited
6 Years Ago by TheOldBuffer
akuei2
akuei2
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Ok dude, 1'm VERY Very very jealous you ... Show me some render ( Money ) Smile
With this price, I can bring my wife play around in Thailand with 1 weeks.
Edited
6 Years Ago by akuei2
Kevin.S
Kevin.S
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.4K reputation)

PCi 2 might make an effect of speed new cards on older boards can be an issue
also check your voltage ...what is your power supply?
The newest NV drivers have been having some issues with certain systems and causing slow downs.
I updated to the newest driver and lost performance

Also be aware of the card problems and issues.

Freelance Artist Kevin.S

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/57cedd8e-58c4-42ce-b2f4-9646.png https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a59e070-66a0-4914-b0a5-b2dc.png 

Email: animatemyart@gmail.com - Web Site:  www.animatemyart.com
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kevin.S
rollasoc
rollasoc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
In the process of speccing / building a new animation PC.  So this is interesting.  Not sure I will go for a 2080Ti or a 1080Ti, though I was informed last week, that they have stopped 1080Ti production to make people buy the 2080Ti.

Time to update your signature??? Smile  

Home built PC:- i9 9900K 32GB RAM, Zotac 1080TI mini.
Band Music:-  https://thehairthieves.bandcamp.com/
Solo Instrumentals:- https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/

ken_1171
ken_1171
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

The RTX 2080 ti has been the subject of love & hate since it was first announced by nVidia - and I am not talking about the steep price tag. There have been several reports of RTX cards dying too early due to manufacturing defects and what nots. There are also reports of low performance for one reason or another, where nVidia is blaming the drivers, claiming they will get better over time. 

However, many reviewers have rated the RTX poorly because of the unbalanced cost x benefit, that is, the cost per FPS is too high. In other words, it's very low value for the money. nVidia counters that argument by claiming the real-time raytracing will pay off in the long run, but that also means it doesn't pay off right now. It may take years for software and games to fully support RTX Tensor cores, but there is the fact that other manufacturers will not support this because only nVidia cards have it. 

The industry has been steering away from such things, avoiding manufacturer-specific features, and seeking for more universal approach. Just like DirectX only works in Windows, RTX Tensor cores only exist in nVidia cards. This becomes vital when developers have to support multiple platforms and devices. Conversely, OTOY Octane has been optimistic about RTX raytracing, claiming they will be the first to take advantage of it. 

But the fact is that RTX real-time raytracing is NOT what it seems. nVidia claims to be steering away from traditional rasterization, but the RTX raytracing is a combination of rasterization with Tensor cores raytracing only selected parts of the image, not the whole thing as some may believe. That's how they could achieve it in real-time, and even so at relative low frame rates. That may improve with later drivers, but the fact is that RTX cards are still using rasterization for the most part. There is also AI Denoiser executed in the RTX Tensor cores - the same AI Denoiser most 3D rendering engines already use nowadays, like Octane and I-ray, without the need for RTX Tensor cores. 

It makes me wonder who will win this debate in the long run: brand-specific hardware, or hardware-agnostic standards? The only reason nVidia is daring to price the RTX 2080 ti that high is because they know only their brand has these features in hardware. But if the market decides to go brand-agnostic, nVidia may be in trouble. The gaming industry is the largest in the world, and they want things to work in all platforms. In this aspect, nVidis is going against the grain. 
Edited
6 Years Ago by ken_1171
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Also remember that, at least for now, this card is pretty slow compared to the Titan inside of iClone proper (my Titan is about 3x faster in rendering).  In terms of price/performance that means it's a VERY poor buy for those of you who want to render in iClone.

There's a reason folks say "bleeding edge" when talking about jumping on the latest hardware.  In general it's NOT a good idea to buy something that is just out (give it a year or so and things will be a LOT clearer).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
In my humble opinion, the 1080ti remains a superb bargain, if you can find it at a decent price. That said, there will be a lot of them on the market at a discount in the coming months as bleeding-edge gamers with a "must upgrade" mentality dump them to stay current. Thank goodness for gamer greed!
ken_1171
ken_1171
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

jarretttowe (11/12/2018)
In my humble opinion, the 1080ti remains a superb bargain, if you can find it at a decent price. That said, there will be a lot of them on the market at a discount in the coming months as bleeding-edge gamers with a "must upgrade" mentality dump them to stay current. Thank goodness for gamer greed!

Or... maybe not, since the 1080 Ti is no longer being manufactured. It is being artificially removed from the market to force people to jump into the expensive RTX wagon. This is a problem, because, like you said, the 1080 Ti is the current best value for the money, and people know that. Conversely, prices are not dropping because there is a greater demand for it. The few remaining will be worth their weight in gold, but then it's no longer worth buying. To resolve this pricing crisis, all we need is more decent competition from ATI.
jarretttowe
jarretttowe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
It would be hard for ATI to compete with CUDA. They are more than capable of producing hardware that is up to the task, but CUDA and iRay are serious considerations for many 3d artists today, enough to make me completely avoid ATI cards at the moment. But hey, paradigms have been known to shift in a day before!
ken_1171
ken_1171
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

There are also many attempts to break the DirectX monopoly, like Vulkan and Maxel. I think there are others, but I can't recall the names. These alternatives aim to unlink performance from brand-specific platforms, also making development platform-agnostic. As things are now, having to support multiple incompatible platforms is very time and cost-intensive. That's why I believe that nVidia is gambling against very high stakes with the RTX family. They are swimming against the tide, trying to tie the industry to their brand. In the end, if people agree to such abusive pricing with low bang for the buck, they will be telling nVidia that it's Ok to do that. However, the industry tends not to be so forgiving. Therefore the RTX 2080 Ti might be the biggest gamble in recent tech history. It's not the best product, but it carries the highest price tag ever for a Ti card.

Reading This Topic