Align motion and pivot issue

Posted By Walvince 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Walvince
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi !

Still fighting with the only and huge problem I met with Iclone, aligning motions Doze
I found that selecting "align" on the second clip seems to work but then the pivot is completely moved elsewhere (where the avatar before aligning).

So now the avatar is ok, but the pivot still remains in the bad position. It could be ok but for later use it will become unusable if I can't manipulate the avatar correctly.
So, is it possible to align the pivot too ? Really can't understand the logic behind this thing, it's causing so much problems everywhere.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

You're not alone! Motion - even simple walking, (and the 'orientation of avatars'), has consumed heaps of my time - and I still don't have a handle on it.
It's more trial and error than anything - which is ridiculous when you think about it - this is 'Animation Software'. lol.
But I live in hope .... (I'll be watching other 'responses' to your thread here - with 'eager expectation'. Something might be said and the 'penny may drop' in my mind).
Hang in there ..... (sorry I can't help you directly with this).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Walvince
Walvince
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Ahah thanks for your support, I really hope to find a solution too.

But I'm surprised, you seems to use Iclone since a long time now, is this problem recent in the software ? Or had you to deal with it all this time ?
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

I'm just a slow learner ....  lol.

I've just found something about this in my earlier notes:
Try this:
* Set a 'Transform Key' at the very end (last frame) of motion 1
* Add a 2nd motion, remove it's 'Transition' and 'butt' it right up against the end of clip 1
* Set a 'Transform Key' at the very start (first frame) of clip 2
* Align clip 2's rotation to match the orientation of clip 1
* Then select (on clip 2), 'ALIGN > ROOT'
* Pull clip 1's 'Transition Key' to slightly left and then adjust the transition region of clip 2.

See if that works for you .....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Walvince
Walvince
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yep that' what I tried at first but I need this transition :/

And when I keep it the avatar goes back and forward and then back again Unsure

Oh I see you edited with more informations, I'll try some of these ideas. I didn't tried all of them.
Edited
6 Years Ago by Walvince
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I've had VERY weird pivot issues just putting a clip on, and not even at the end of the clip.  I've had the pivot move completely away from the character at the START of the clip, which really should never happen.  I truly think the whole thing with iClone and pivots is a mess, a kludge of various things that just grew like topsy over the years, and now it's so screwed up the best you can do are apply workarounds.

No other animation program I've ever used treats an object's pivot in this manner -- it should ALWAYS stay at the same position.  But my hunch is that early on iClone decided that an animated object should UNDER SOME CIRCUMSTANCES move away from its pivot, and we've had to pay the price ever since.

I was going to try and track this down but I kind of gave up since I doubt whether RL will ever do anything about it, at least to fix it fundamentally.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah - I've seen that effect for sure .....
I'm playing around with this myself now that you've posted ....
We'll see whether 'You', 'Me' or 'Some other member' totally nails it....
Like I say, I'm keen like you to get this totally right ......  Smile

Edit: .... Yeah well summed up Mike .... makes a lot of sense what you say .....

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Walvince
Walvince
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. I am totally new to animation softwares but it seems obvious that the pivot should never behave this way.

Why do you think RL will never fix it ? It seems to be a so major problem to me.

I saw somewhere that Rampa had done a tutorial about aligning the pivot but I can't find it. It was 3 years ago so it's maybe no longer to take in consideration.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Not sure if I'm on to something here, or whether it's a fluke, but try this:
As soon as you've set the second 'Transform Key', right click on each clip and click 'Reset Pivot' (do that on BOTH clips).
Now BEFORE proceeding on to the 'Rotating clip 2' part, make sure your cursor line is right on top of clip 2's Keyframe (making the key frame 'active' - talking of the first frame of clip 2), and NOW go ahead and adjust the rotation - see if that works for you ...

To clarify:
* Set a 'Transform Key' at the very end (last frame) of motion 1
* Add a 2nd motion, remove it's 'Transition' and 'butt' it right up against the end of clip 1
* Set a 'Transform Key' at the very start (first frame) of clip 2
Right click on each clip and click 'Reset Pivot'
* Click onto clip 2's Keyframe (making it active)

* Align clip 2's rotation to match the orientation of clip 1
* Then select (on clip 2), 'ALIGN > ROOT'
* Slide clip 1's 'Transform Key' several frames to the left and THEN left-slide-out clip 2's transition region 'up to' (but 1 frame before reaching) clip 1's end transform key.
(so the 'transition' region spans between the 2 created key frames).

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Walvince (11/12/2018)
Kelleytoons glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. I am totally new to animation softwares but it seems obvious that the pivot should never behave this way.

Why do you think RL will never fix it ? It seems to be a so major problem to me.

I saw somewhere that Rampa had done a tutorial about aligning the pivot but I can't find it. It was 3 years ago so it's maybe no longer to take in consideration.

I don't think they will fix it for the same reasons I think if you find a tutorial that Rampa did three years ago it will probably work exactly the same -- RL is LOATHE to change anything that affects stuff retroactively.

In some ways it's a Good Thing -- you can, with pretty much good confidence, be assured that things you have always done can always BE done.  But in other ways, if a core thing is really screwed up and should be fundamentally rewritten, it means it cannot.  The best that can be done is to add some kind of kludge on top of it (which won't work well, or at all at times).

Where they make major breaks nearly always come in things like avatars, where they have "generations" -- the old generation still works exactly the same way, but the new stuff can only work in the new way.  (I would argue that if they can do this they really ought to fix major issues like this pivot point and say "hey, it's much better NOW" but that's just me).  If they were to rewrite things like the pivot issue it would almost surely be in something like version 8 (which they should call something other than iClone -- again, that's just me, but I'd start from scratch with a new name and a 1.0 version that did a lot of things right but didn't keep all the old baggage).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic