Curve Editor 1.1 poor performance

Posted By Dr. Nemesis 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
So I sampled a clip in Iclone 7.3 and noticed that the curve editor (1.1) performance has dropped significantly. 
Selecting and deleting even a single keyframe now takes an age!

This makes the plugin impractical to use.
Feedback Tracker bug filed. Please vote or add to it if you've experienced the same. I'm gonna see if I can roll back.

Edit: My suspicion is that this maybe has something to do with the addition of animation compression. Sampled curve data now seems extremely dense, which I think is what's causing the slow down and not so much the curve editor changes (perhaps). Is it now REQUIRED that we add animation compression in order for this not to happen?
Edited
6 Years Ago by Dr. Nemesis
JohnRourke
JohnRourke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)

Just been searching for issues like this.  I'm trying to clean up a mocap clip with the curve editor and it's desperately slow.  It's taken over two minutes to delete three keyframes.  I'm now waiting a few minutes to select several joints to optimise them and reduce the hundreds of thousands of data points.

I can't make a film if it takes an hour of waiting around to clean up a single mocap file Sad

One of the issues looks like the curve editor is single threaded - only one of eight cores is doing anything.  The rest of the iClone suite appears to use all cores (Character creator 3 for example).  I am using the trial at the moment but surely performance isn't crippled in the trial, or if it is, it puts the product in a very bad light.
JohnRourke
JohnRourke
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)Junior Member (198 reputation)

Disappointingly it seems a lot of iClone only uses a single thread.  This is a crying shame as the workflow is so choppy when trying to clean up mocap, I find myself despairing and wondering how I can achieve what I want to achieve with this rather expensive product.

It also seems to cap out at using 4Gb of RAM as well, which is also a shame in this day and age.

Any suggestions on how to improve the performance of the curve editor etc.?  I've taken to optimised sampling of the whole clip and doing it a bit at a time, which stops the minutes long pauses/permanent crashes (hard to tell the difference alas) but it's still dog slow to even delete a single node.
Peter_914185
Peter_914185
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)Senior Member (356 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I'm also getting these issues. Admittedly my mo-cap is seven minutes long but considering Iclone has a fifteen minute limit I'd of thought it would still be able to cope.  It takes ages to sample one segment  (hips in my case) and then if I try to adjust anything in the curve editor it freezes up.

I'm using a new ROG G14 AMD laptop. It's obviously not as powerful as new desktops but with 6gb GPU and an 8 core AMD processor I'd of imagined it would of been able to cope with a single character but so far I'm finding as soon as I bake the keys down it slows to a crawl. 

Auroratrek
Auroratrek
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Any update on this? As is, Curve editor is useless. I wouldn't mind so much but it costs $149--almost as much as iClone itself. I use mocap for my animations, and the inability to use a graph editor for mocap editing--something that even a free app like Daz 3D can do easily--is a pretty glaring hole in iClone's usability for animation. 

On my Youtube Channel: Quest of the Key: Chapter One
roger4038_039037
roger4038_039037
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)Junior Member (171 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My curve editor shows no curves, just some dots. I try clicking different body parts of the character but I almost never see any curves. The curve editor in DAZ Studio works better in my opinion.  

Reading This Topic