DISAPPOINTING EXPERIENCE OF SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTION LIVE

Posted By mcculleymike 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

DISAPPOINTING EXPERIENCE OF SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTION LIVE

Author
mcculleymike
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I was very excited to start using iClone. I purchased just about all the software for close to $600 or more.... I also bought the Popcorn FX for Particle Effects and cant wait to use that. But the main reason I bought it was to do Face and Motion Capture for 3D animation. I installed all the software properly and loaded an Avatar (Jade), but Mocap Live plugin would not link up with my Camera!!! I tried all kinds of things, including uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Then just by accident, I was reading the Notes, and they were talking about Faceware, which I knew was part of the Face Motion Capture. Oh by the way, FACEWARE IS a separate product and is NOT part of the MOTION LIVE plugin. That's why my webcam wasnt interfacing with the software! REALLUSION, made no mention of this, you just had to figure it out on your own. So I was pissed to say the least. Then I went and found it on the website and lo and behold, it costs more than all the other software combined!!!! WTF???? I would have never bought this at all, if I knew this. WHY is FACEWARE so expensive and why does REALLUSION not make that apparent before you buy all the other software???? I think this is very misleading on your part, and am reconsidering my purchase.
Mike McCulley
3dtester
3dtester
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi,
i was also starting to play around with the Motion LIVE addon for iClone, and wanted to use a webcam for face tracking.
I also didn't realize this at first, since it is indeed not mentioned anywhere.

On the product page:
https://mocap.reallusion.com/iClone-motion-live-mocap/buy.html?addfrom=32.00001

...i read this: "Both iClone and Motion LIVE plugin are required to produce mocap 3D animation."

3dtester
3dtester
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Search for further information, i come across that page:
https://mocap.reallusion.com/iClone-faceware-mocap/

And if you scroll down, you find the requirements.
"Faceware Realtime for iClone" is one of them.

So i think one can use Mocap features with the Motion LIVE plugin, but for facial tracking you need Faceware as well.
Yeah, and at that price point it is no option for me unfortunately Sad

Keith_MPS
Keith_MPS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
If it comes to it, here's their return policy:
https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/User/ReturnPolicy.html

- Keith
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
mcculleymike (9/20/2018)
I was very excited to start using iClone. I purchased just about all the software for close to $600 or more.... I also bought the Popcorn FX for Particle Effects and cant wait to use that. But the main reason I bought it was to do Face and Motion Capture for 3D animation. I installed all the software properly and loaded an Avatar (Jade), but Mocap Live plugin would not link up with my Camera!!! I tried all kinds of things, including uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Then just by accident, I was reading the Notes, and they were talking about Faceware, which I knew was part of the Face Motion Capture. Oh by the way, FACEWARE IS a separate product and is NOT part of the MOTION LIVE plugin. That's why my webcam wasnt interfacing with the software! REALLUSION, made no mention of this, you just had to figure it out on your own. So I was pissed to say the least. Then I went and found it on the website and lo and behold, it costs more than all the other software combined!!!! WTF???? I would have never bought this at all, if I knew this. WHY is FACEWARE so expensive and why does REALLUSION not make that apparent before you buy all the other software???? I think this is very misleading on your part, and am reconsidering my purchase.
Mike McCulley

Hi Mike

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with Motion Live.

As we try to explain on the product pages, Motion Live is the plugin that brings all your motion capture gear together and allows you to use various facial and full body mocap solutions at the same time. The way it works is that you need Motion Live to start with and then you purchase the "Gear Profiles" for the mocap solutions you plan to use. You can see all the Gear Profile prices HERE.

However I will certainly pass on your feedback to our marketing team and hopefully we can improve the product information to make the requirements clearer.

In the meantime if you do feel you would like a refund, please contact Customer Support using the link below. They will be able to help you with this if you purchased in the last 14 days.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

prodos
prodos
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Peter wrote:

However I will certainly pass on your feedback to our marketing team and hopefully we can improve the product information to make the requirements clearer.

I've also been looking over the MoCap pages -- trying to figure out what software and hardware would be needed to get started -- and have found it very, very confusing and difficult to follow.

Perhaps, it would be helpful to enlist some iClone newbies, have them go through the online material and take note of the instances and reasons they find the online information confusing.

Clearly, iClone products are incredible & iClone support people bend over backwards to be helpful.

But it would be great if we newbies could find our way around more "intuitively".

It really can be so frustrating.  Smile

Edited
6 Years Ago by prodos
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Thank you for the additional feedback Produs. We will certainly look to make the requirements clearer in the future.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

mcculleymike
mcculleymike
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)Senior Member (265 reputation)

That's what I saw too! So I bought what they said I needed, then installed all the software, but it would not connect to my camera!
mcculleymike
mcculleymike
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I will give my opinion on how to make it easier to understand.
1. Do not separate the "Gear" into a separate product. You actually are not selling us any "gear". You are selling us software, not hardware. We have built very robust computer graphics systems, and are software savvy, to be able to utilize this incredible software package.
2. DO NOT separate Faceware, out of the Live Motion software! It is deceptive and confusing, I know why you do it, because of it's high price, but be honest and straightforward with the costs to do MOTION CAPTURE. That is the reason we are coming to your site after all!
3. I know I am a "newbie" with your software. But I have been doing computer graphics and animation for over 25 years. I am a retired professional, and know all the evolution we have gone through to get to this point on MOCAP.. Why not have a lower price point for retired professionals, educators, and freelancers? I am pursuing this for artistic reasons, and possibly to teach it at the college level or technical schools.
4. Your training is very well done. That is a great incentive for buying your software, and one of the reasons I did!
mcculleymike
mcculleymike
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Just to show I am not making this up, Here is another announcement about MOTION LIVE that I copied out of the General forums. I  !!!don't see anything about Faceware. The first sentence says it all !!!!
In v7.22, the big update is that iClone now works with the newly-released Motion LIVE plug-in to fulfill the all-in-one mocap solution by unifying face, body, and hand capture!
Other new features like full screen mode and some issues fixed are also included in this version.

Supporting the Newly-released Motion LIVE Plug-in for iClone 

Motion LIVE aggregates motion data streams from industry leading mocap devices, and drives 3D characters’ faces, hands and bodies simultaneously. The intuitive plug-and-play design makes connecting complicated mocap devices a simple selection. Motion LIVE is ready to animate custom imported characters or fully-rigged 3D characters generated by Character Creator, Daz Studio, or from other industry standard source.

Reading This Topic