Profile Picture

Is there a way to apply a texture to an object and children that are attached to at once?

Posted By Data Juggler 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is there a way to apply a texture to an object and children that are...

Author
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 hours ago
I created a poker table, and when I applied the felt texture to each piece it stretches differently due to different dimensions.

I have attached the two ends, so I would like to apply the texture as one piece to all of it if there is a way.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/df7ce1e1-ceea-4229-a8fc-cd76.png

Thanks

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Use the paint bucket or duplicate the object but you can't apply the texture as one piece because they are two separate objects
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Where is the Paint Bucket tool? 

Can the object be exported as 1 piece and reimported as one object so a texture could be applied to all of it at once?

Thanks for the reply

PixelDatabase.Net

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I found the paint tool, that worked, but doesn't look as good as a texture. 

I am waiting on Reallusion to answer me on the price to upgrade to export ability; I think once exported as a single object this would collapse it so a texture can be applied.

Thanks

PixelDatabase.Net

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you used standard (built-in) props (which you seem to do), then 3DXchange Pro would be sufficient.

If your table consists of a prop with other props attached, there will be an option to merge them into one with the prop (I've currently a project loaded into iClone, so I can't show you).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
My thought is you're suffering from UV maps with inconsistent texel density.

INSERTED...
Normally I direct people to the Substance Painter "texel density" video.  I just ran across this video, and the beginning explains it pretty good, I think.  I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from about 1:12  to 1:40 it gives a pretty good indication of inconsistent density.
Also see 6:17 to 6:55.  You want the "squares" to be close to the same size all over the item.  If not, you get inconsistent stretching and inconsistent blurring across the model.

Now back to the original post...

Here's a video that explains it pretty well.  You don't need to be a master at it, but it's good to have an understanding of the issue.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks all for the replies. I have to go for my run before it gets hot, but I will watch the videos when I get back.

I think it may be because it is early, but the Density thing sounds complicated. My brain needs to wake up before I try and comprehend that.

Corby

PixelDatabase.Net

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
DJ, if you used 3 pieces of primitives... (let me guess 2 arcs and a cube?), then indeed, not much you can do inside the iClone to have a single texture applied to all 3 pieces. You can attach one to another, merge, but you would still have 3 materials. In this particular case you can play with tiling for the center piece (in appropriate direction), until it matches the density of the corner pieces. Depending on the texture flow direction, the border line between pieces might, or might not be visible. And for education you indeed need to watch the video by JAV to see how the UV maps relate to the shapes and forms of the object.

Here is quick video I put together showing a possible solution inside of the iClone (depending on your texture it might look better or worse):

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the great video. Actually I used a box and two cylinders and scaled them down.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/05954d48-66dc-49ba-9dd1-008b.png

Had I known about the existence of an object called an Arc, I would have used an Arc.
Before I forget, where is the option to create an Arc? That might actually work for my other question which is how to cut a Torus in half. An Arc is already a semicircle, that sounds like what I need.

I will look at the tiling option. I tried a couple of attempts at resizing a copy of the texture to a few different width proportions and it didn't work.

I am awake now after an 8.2 mile run (with a half a mile walk drinking a gatorade), so I will try all your suggestions.

Thanks

PixelDatabase.Net

Edited
6 Years Ago by Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I found the Arc, and a bunch of other Props:

Thanks, I only knew about Create > Primitive Shape, this gives me a lot more props.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c865950-d392-44fd-84e8-ecdf.png

PixelDatabase.Net

Edited
6 Years Ago by Data Juggler

Reading This Topic