Posted By candlelight2007 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Creating a new character off of the existing one with a custom look

Author
candlelight2007
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago

I have used RL products before but I am a complete newbie in CT Animator. And this is a complete newbie’s question as I’m playing with the trial trying to decide whether CTA will fit the bill or not. I understand that this question may have been answered before and if so, a link to the post would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that CTA has the ability to create new characters off of the existing ones and when doing so one can apply their custom looks to the existing motions of the original character, etc.

I have a very specific task. I have a cat character, sorta like a mascot that will be appearing in a number of short instructional videos. I know there are a couple of cat characters in CT that I’d like to base my character off of but I’m not exactly sure how to go about it and how easy (or not) it is.

Is there a specific workflow that exists, that someone can outline as 1,2,3… steps or perhaps an instructional video?

And a related question. I understand that one has to have images created for all the body parts that the original character does. All tutorials seem to mention creating those using PSD. I don’t have PS. Is this the only option or can those be created in another graphic editor?

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi...

CTA3 characters can be created entirely inside of CTA itself using the dummy template, or you can use PSD templates which simplifies the process, especially if you are familiar with image editors and working in layers. To use the PSD templates requires Photoshop or another PSD compatible image editor. A very popular alternative to Photoshop is Affinity Photo which is more budget friendly.

If you would like to try creating a character in CTA itself using your own pre-drawn artwork, then please see the tutorial below.

https://youtu.be/kN-mKg5KlmM

And if you have a PSD compatible image editor, then you can try the tutorial below.

https://youtu.be/AIQ8ArWQiYc

And for our complete CTA3 Tutorials Playlist, please click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNV5zSFadPdnfZpP0ZDPjNOgOmEQmOmPJ

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

candlelight2007
candlelight2007
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks for a very prompt response! I'll give it a try.

Reading This Topic