Camera placement on timeline

Posted By Peter Blood 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
One thing that would be very easy to do and would be both a great time saver and  lower the level of frustration
would be to place the camera right below "production" on the pull down menu on the timeline. 

I can't remember how many times I bring a prop or avatar up to do timeline adjustments and BOOM my camera has
been removed from the timeline. I have to go through everything about 20 times a session to bring the camera back
up each time it disappears.. Set it right below "production"  so it's an easy grab.

I'm getting off my soapbox now, but it would be a very nice thing to do. Wink

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Pete, I'm not so sure that I fully understand your issue, but it is possible to keep a camera, or anything else always visible on to Timeline.

If all that you want to see on the Timeline is a camera then make sure that the "Object Related Track" icon is Green (On)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f224ba3d-a35f-492e-9c79-c9b7.png

This means that anything that you select in the Scene Manager, or on the screen will be active on the Timeline - everything else will not show up.

If however you wish to have the camera, and another item both visible at the same time them deselect the "Object Related Track" icon. Doing this means that it is now possible to select multiple items from the "Track Menu List"
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/855d1ca9-704d-4fce-abba-285e.png

You can deselect items that you don't require in order to keep the Timeline list short and manageable, and always have your camera - or whatever visible.

Does this make sense, and help in any way?

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Edited
6 Years Ago by wires
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Thanks wires:

Can I lock the camera at the top of the timeline pull-down menu? Say, right above or below, 'Project' and still use the
pull down normally to select props etc. The problem is, I'll have the camera up, then I bring up an avatar or prop and the 
camera disappears from the timeline. I then have to minimize props,avatars, accessories etc. to get to the camera so
that I can get it back up onto the timeline. 

Being able to lock it at the top of the drop-down menu would help, but locking it to the timeline would be better. (I only use one
camera for everything I do. Keep it simple stupid seems to apply for me here )

I think I might have explained it better that time???

Cool pete 

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Peter, do not keep the "Object Related track" green. Click on it and make it gray before selecting the prop, then, when a prop/avatar is selected, click on the "Object Related track" to make it green (prop/avatar goes to the timeline) and click again.. back to gray. This way camera would not disappear from a timeline. 

As to locking the items... unfortunately not and it annoys me a lot as well.

"Track Menu List" is the most useless and underdeveloped UI feature in iClone. With heavy loaded scene (avatars/props), it becomes cluttered with items, which nobody ever need to animate and have it on a timeline.
Things like CC_eyes, CC_teeth, upper, lower, hair.. etc. Who does ever animate those things? And they are all listed above the camera, which should be animated in every scene.
And the funnies thing is, that if you have 5 avatars, then in the "Hair" category for instance there would be 5 rows of just... "Hair".. But which is for which avatar???

You think OK, I'll tolerate and just collapse all useless categories... and you do.
But no, as soon as you reopen Track Menu, all are expanded back. I can go on and on...

Anyhow, I never open "Track Menu" list and mostly work with "Object Related track". I keep it gray all the time, then, when I need to place something to the timeline,
I'll select item first, click on "Object Related track" making it green (item to the timeline), and then click again, back to gray (otherwise, next time I select any item, it would jump to the timeline clearing all existed items).

Also very inconvenient, but that is all we have. I meant to open a ticket with FT about it, but then again statistically 95% of feature requests are getting ignored regardless of vote count.

But if someone from RL is reading this.... The track menu is a crucial animation interface (after the timeline itself)
At minimum it should have (just off the top of my head):

*  Dock-able
interface (track menu itself)
* Ability to resize the interface
* Ability to sort track list items (in the menu and on the timeline)
* Ability to assign custom placement priority
(in the menu and on the timeline)
* Ability to lock items at the timeline, so they cannot be removed with Object related tracks.
* Tree like list for props/sub-props in the Track list menu.

There probably more... feel free to add!

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you Gerry and 4u2ges: Smile

i get what you're saying now. Gawd, a house doesn't have to fall on me. It is rather cumbersome
but probably less so the more I use it. It certainly could be done more simply. To be honest, I had
no idea what that icon was for so this is a revelation to me. Wink Thanks again guys.

Cool pete 

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

4u2ges >>>>  ".... I'll select item first, click on "Object Related track" making it green (item to the timeline), and then click again, back to gray (otherwise, next time I select any item, it would jump to the timeline clearing all existed items) ...."

Great tip! - I must remember that one - thnx ....  Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Reading This Topic