Profile Picture

Newbie problem when applying texture

Posted By urbiman 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
urbiman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I am very new to iclone and I feel a little silly asking that as it has to be obvious. But even after search this forum and looking at the youtube tutorials I can not fix it:

If I import an object (from thingiverse or my own models), I am somehow unable to apply a texture/material in a proper way. Regardless if I try it using 3dxchange or iClone when choosing the material or texture the colour of the object changes, however it does not really have the texture or material it just has a different colour which might resemble something like the texture. Looks a little like the texture would by streched far too much. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

In image 1 I imported something in 3dxchange and applied "wood04" 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/41aceddf-6856-4c77-9743-7194.jpg

In image 2 I applied "bricks_001" (substance) to all objects, however only the Primitve Shape is behaving like it should

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cb27df15-8194-4857-a7be-de79.jpg
vidi
vidi
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (31.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
an UV Mapping is the keyword .Your objects have not UV Map.
You need create it (in you 3D Aplication)bevore you import to 3dxchange 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
liebe Grüße vidi

urbiman
urbiman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)Junior Member (233 reputation)

Sounds plausible, thanks! Will try this on the weekend.
urbiman
urbiman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

You were completely correct. However when importing to for example Carrara I am able to set uv mapping like spherical and everything works like it should.
There is also a uv setting within 3dxchange, however it does not change anything if I choose something there, even if press apply. Is there something I am missing?
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
If it Just changes color when adding the texture try adjusting the tiling in uv settings in 3dx
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
you need to actually unwrap it in your software at the moment its not actually mapped when its transferred.   There is some similar tools in iclone to use planar or spherical in iclone but I would assume the object still needs to be properly mapped.     Look up "uv unwrapping" and "uvmapping"  in cararra I dont know how cararra works but.. i can give you blender links probably not helpful but maybe it can help you look for similar words/info in cararrra.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Reading This Topic