Gestures

Posted By william.carey30 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
william.carey30
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello All!
     Using iClone 7, but generally sticking with my iClone 5 characters, because I put so much effort into making them, and I can't put their heads on iClone 6 or 7 characters.  Also, i don't have Crazy Talk, so I can't make custom heads for iClone 6 or 7.  Just tried to put "gestures" (hand animation) on one of my G5 characters, and it says, "Failure to load.  Invalid data".  Could have sworn it worked with other G5 characters, though I haven't been able to figure out at all how to put a gesture on just one hand in iClone 7.  Do I need to import the iClone 5 version of the gestures or something?
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Actually, you can 'put' their heads on a 6 or 7 character, just not as you might think.
I use a G1 face on my Ari character (although as she grows I might have to upgrade)
Here's how I do it. 
1. Move the opacity to zero on all head parts of the target avatar.
2. Move the opacity to zero on all body parts of the avatar you're using for the head.
3. Place a ball in the neck of the target avatar and attach it to the neck
4. Place the 'head' avatar correctly on the neck and link it to the ball.
The new head will move with the body avatars movement and you can make small adjustments
to it's position by adjusting the ball.

I use this technique if I've acquired a rigged avatar that is without facial morphs. The three deserters that
invaded Ari's camp in the Ari #2 were avatars such as this.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Postfrosch
Postfrosch
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)

though I haven't been able to figure out at all how to put a gesture on just one hand in iClone 7.

Look here
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f932705a-0c96-440d-b33f-e52e.jpg

Greets form Germany
Postfrosch

--------------------------------------------------------------
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cd9c9a06-21a5-44c5-9f67-6810.jpg
william.carey30
william.carey30
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Ah, thanks!  I was still occasionally learning how to do something in iClone 5 several years after I got the program.  I get the feeling I'll still be learning things in iClone 7 for the next decade (If we're not on "iClone 10, All-in-One Animation, Modelling, and Game Development Program" at that point!).
william.carey30
william.carey30
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

That's pretty awesome!  I'll give it a try.  Basically, I'm bringing both an iClone 5 and an iClone 7 character into the scene, and positioning them together, with the G5 head visible and the G7 body visible, right? 
It's funny, but no new generation of avatar is ever completely better than the previous generation.  Each has some aspect that just came out a little better in that generation.  I started out with the G3's, but, on a whim, tried my G3 heads on G1 and G2 bodies.  To my surprise, I actually made 4 or 5 animations in which I preferred the G2, and even a couple in which I preferred the G1!  When the G5 characters first came out, I still preferred the G3 for a while.  I think the "dirty knees" look on the G5 was freaking me out.  Now I use almost exclusively G5, but, if I am able to use your technique, I'll be able to do more with G6/G7 characters right away.  I really don't like using "stock" characters.
william.carey30
william.carey30
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Little bit of effort involved, but definitely an awesome workaround!  The "Pete Method" works like a charm!  Just have to remember there are 2 characters there, and make sure the right one is highlighted when you're working on textures, etc.  I actually ended up using the free G6 Heidi Santa body with a head I made in iClone 5.  There was definitely an improvement in musculature between G5 and G6.  MrWmJCarey on Youtube.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/609447a1-2dec-4915-a211-b3f7.png
Edited
6 Years Ago by william.carey30

Reading This Topic