Forum Categories

Posted By Lord Ashes 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I appreciate that Reallusion tried to re-organize the forum to make posts more oriented towards specific software packages but I think in some cases they may have done a little too much and in other cases not enough. Here are a few issues that I have observed:

1. The forum does not seem to have a "General" section. A post like this one which concerns itself with the forum itself or any post about Reallusion in general (which is not specific to a Reallusion software) should be posted in a general section but there isn't one. This means either posting to a software related section and missing potential readers or cross-posting to multiple forum sections (which is generally frowned upon).
2. There seem to be too many sections for showing off your content. There is the "Lobby | Showcase Yourself", the "Content Developer | Content Exhibition - Content Store & Marketplace", the "IClone | Developer Content Exhibition" and the "Character Creator | Developer Content Exhibition". Really, content is content. It does not really matter if it was made in iC or CC since most content can go back and forth anyway. But having so many forum sub-sections for showcasing your content again means you either choose one section and get only a sub-section of the users seeing your content or, once again, you need to cross-post to get all potential users to see your content.

Here would be my suggestions:

1. Create a general section where users can discuss any content that is not specific to a particular Reallusion software (e.g. discussions about the forum itself, about Reallusion itself, etc).
2. Have one section for exhibiting content so that users don't need to go to many sections to see what others have done.
3. Keep sections like General, Technical Issues, Tutorials and Wish-list per software (as it is now) since these topics are software specific.

I am also not sure if it wouldn't be beneficial to have a section somewhere where people can post potential bugs which require (typically RL) confirmation. I know the Feedback/Bug Tracker is used to report actual bugs but there have been cases where I have found "issues" which I am not sure are bugs. Typically when these are posted in the "Technical Issues" people tend to post all kinds of work-arounds but not provide a definitive answer as to if the issue is a bug or not. As an example, I have noticed that the iC7 Morph Creator can create clothing morphs and they work correctly in iC7. When such clothing is moved to CC, the Morph Creator morphs don't show up as CC Morph Sliders. When one tries to add CC Morph Sliders for the clothing morphs, the sliders are created but the clothing morph is not applied (i.e. the slider has no effect). I don't know if this is a bug (i.e. creating CC Morph Sliders for clothing should work but it does not) or if this is a wish list item (i.e. current CC version is not supposed to support clothing morphs).  

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Lord Ashes (4/15/2018)

1. The forum does not seem to have a "General" section. A post like this one which concerns itself with the forum itself or any post about Reallusion in general (which is not specific to a Reallusion software) should be posted in a general section...

You mean like this?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c107f5e5-6393-4849-aea3-6f73.jpg

I am also not sure if it wouldn't be beneficial to have a section somewhere where people can post potential bugs which require (typically RL) confirmation. I know the Feedback/Bug Tracker is used to report actual bugs but there have been cases where I have found "issues" which I am not sure are bugs. Typically when these are posted in the "Technical Issues" people tend to post all kinds of work-arounds but not provide a definitive answer as to if the issue is a bug or not.

I was very vocal a few months about the lack of access to technical staff members, even indirectly, for thins like what you described; bug confirmation, explanation of why thing are the way they are, "best" workarounds, etc.  I will avoid re-ranting here today.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 52 minutes ago
justaviking (4/15/2018)
[  I will avoid re-ranting here today.

This old man, OTOH, never wants to pass up an opportunity to rant <g>.

Yeah, we had this discussion about categories and support and all of this many months ago, with not one single word from anyone (I know Peter reads this stuff, but only to slap us on the wrist).  It would be nice if someone would even say "Ya know, we hear you and while we don't want to do anything about your requests, we have our reasons."  But the silence is deafening.

As I tried to point out, reorganizing the board would offer a lot of advantages to RL in terms of sales, so a win-win situation (and I used to get paid for exactly this kind of advice.  Yeah, but I'm old now so I guess it's not valuable anymore).  It's a confusing place for a whole lot of folks to post, even those of us who have posted WAY too much (I know who I am).  But it will remain as it is because... stuff.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Doh! I missed the General section...I really must be going blind. Thanks for cluing me in.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Kelleytoons (4/15/2018)

Yeah, we had this discussion about categories and support and all of this many months ago, with not one single word from anyone (I know Peter reads this stuff, but only to slap us on the wrist).  It would be nice if someone would even say "Ya know, we hear you and while we don't want to do anything about your requests, we have our reasons."  But the silence is deafening.

I was away from the forum doing other duties for a while so may have missed it. Can you provide a link to the thread where you discussed this subject. Thanks. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 52 minutes ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/357510/Filmmaking-Forum-Section-?PageIndex=2

Relevant comments start on page 2, IMHO.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
6 Years Ago by Kelleytoons
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Kelleytoons (4/17/2018)
https://forum.reallusion.com/357510/Filmmaking-Forum-Section-?PageIndex=2

Relevant comments start on page 2, IMHO.

Thanks KT. I have now replied to that thread.

Please be assured we do appreciate all the feedback and will be doing a review of the forum in the coming weeks. 

Personally I do feel we have to be careful not to over complicate the forum with too many sub-forums or sub-sections. While longtime forum members will have no trouble navigating the multitude of different sections, it has always been the case that new users often feel overwhelmed by the number of different forum sections and will often just go to the first forum (Reallusion > General) and post there regardless.

However we will review the forum layout soon to see where we can improve things. In the meantime please do feel free to add further suggestions. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic