Inconsistent Rendering of Dual Sided Meshes

Posted By Lord Ashes 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I have created some content which has different textures on each side of the same mesh. Please note that this is not content that has two mesh layers...it is content that has one mesh made up of a single set of vertices points with two sets of faces (each with opposite normals).
When the resulting content is imported via 3DXChange (as a prop) the rendering in iC7 looks correct with each side showing the correct texture and only that texture. Even when soft cloth physics are applied, the content does not have either side's texture bleeding through to the other side. This is what I expected.
However, when the exact same content is imported via CC2 (as cloth) the rendering is completely wrong with parts of each side bleeding through into the other. The rendering remains incorrect even when the item is taken into iC7.

In this particular case, I can work with the content as a prop but in other cases this difference in rendering could be an issue.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9b4e3088-ddf8-43c1-96a0-eedb.bmp

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1e2260dc-ebe8-45c9-baf1-b924.bmp

Side Note:

I know some will likely suggest alternate methods of implementing the content which does not require the used of two different textures on the same mesh. While this may be helpful it is not the point of the OP. The point of the OP is that iC7 and CC2 don't seem to use a consistent importing, interpreting or rendering mechanism which causes some fringe case content to work in one but not the other.
However, to address the issue of implementing the content using a different method: I have I have tried alternate solutions with little success. Initially I tried a thin "box" with one texture on one side and the other texture on the other side. However, when soft cloth was applied one side of the thin box was pulled slightly more than the other side and thus at the bottom I got some of the other side showing on the wrong side. So then I created the content using a number of small boxes sharing edges so that the two sides would be periodically joined across the surface of the cape. This caused slightly different gravity pulls on each of the boxes thus making the areas of the boxes evident. 

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Looks like it may have something to do with the Cloth import mechanism because when I take the (prop based) content from iC7 to CC2, it is rendered correctly in CC2. Obviously it remains a prop (or could be saved as an accessory) but it is rendered correctly by CC2. This would tend to indicate that the problem lies somewhere in the import Cloth function.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 seconds ago
You can probably offset one material just a hair using the displacement texture channel. Load a gray swatch into it, and then adjust the displacement an extremely small amount.
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Rampa (4/8/2018)
You can probably offset one material just a hair using the displacement texture channel. Load a gray swatch into it, and then adjust the displacement an extremely small amount.

Interesting suggestion. I will give that a try. However, it still does illustrate that the two applications do not use the same processing mechanism...which seems like a shame. Not only does it seem to imply that the work had to be done twice but it also means that content may need to be tweaked to work in both.

Reading This Topic