How to link the sword to the hand pick up the sword

Posted By thairston 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
thairston
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Looking for a tutorial on a fight scene with a gun or a sword. How to link the sword to the hand pick up the sword. 

Anthony Hairston
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hello:

First get a 3d prop into your scene. let's say a box. Now attach the box to the sword or gun at the handle.
Then go to the modify tab. Now go to the movement tab and find 'Edit Reach Target' Now 'reach' the proper hand to the
box and click the box. From now on you will use the box to manipulate the hand into the proper position. (You can still manipulate the fingers)
Position the hand(box) and fingers and you're all set.
Hope this helps.

This one is for IC5 but it works the same in IC 6 & 7

And this one by stuckon3D shows more on how it can be us

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Edited
6 Years Ago by Peter Blood
james_muia
james_muia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
What would be the difference between using a prop like a Box for attachment instead of just attaching the sword to the right or left hand?

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Good Question.
The difference is when you put a movement on the character, the hand won't always remain attached to the sword. You'll have
to do some timeline work to make sure it does. By 'reaching' for the box your hand will always remain attached to the box, the box
is attached to the sword, and therefore the hand will remain attached to the sword.

I have a man pulllng a cart in a WIP I'm doing now. By doing it this way, every time he takes a step, the hands remain attached to the carts handles
and, as his gait moves his body up and down with each step, his shoulders flex with it. (Human IK in action.)

Hope that helps

Cool pete
Ps - Here's the WIP video. Look for the man pulling the cart right after going through the gate. Notice his arm movement to see what I mean. =)

Edited
bruceberg
bruceberg
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Great explanation and tutorial Pete! BTW, you're WIP scene is nothing short of awesome. You have a lot of stuff going on throughout that scene! Out of curiosity, how many hours have you spent on that so far?
Regards...Bruce
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Bruce: Smile
From concept ( Which means, I had a passing thought to do a short clip of Ari gong to the alchemist shop) to finished was 3 months.
I don't have an idea as to how many hours. I had so many things going on I couldn't always tell how it might look until I rendered it. 
So I had many many hours in rendering and re-rendering. I shot it on three different sets which I made as each level of the city was finished.
Here's a shot of the set, I was shooting the first tier, inner wall at the time, and I had deleted or re-positioned all avatars from the outside wall to the interior
to save polys.. I was also building the second tier while finishing shooting the first so I was switching a lot of hats Tongue

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/13aac05a-913f-4c18-80b2-68f5.png

I made it as economical as I could, but I think it came out looking much bigger in the actual shot. Tongue

Cool pete

Edited
james_muia
james_muia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Thanks for the explanation Peter! That makes a lot of sense now.

Computer Specs:

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

How do you actually apply this to animation? I have a sword that I've attached to a box (or Box attached to a sword which didn't seem to work right), and have reached to that 'box', then I've positioned everything correctly. However now the character just stands in place. Applying any motion doesn't move him anywhere as he's 'locked down' basically.

Computer Specs:

Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello James: Smile

Nothing you are doing with the sword, box, or the hand should have any effect on the general animation
of the avatar. I would try again. Make sure you are targeted on your avatar and not on the box or sword.
(I've done that plenty of times. I forget to re-target to the avatar.) You might have to start fresh and go the
procedure again. Let me know how it works out as I've never heard of, nor had a problem like the one you describe.

Cool pete

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've done this a bunch of times and the Katana just stays stationary and doesn't move with the character. Another time I did it, the person was 'locked down' to the katana.

I did exactly as you said. Add prop. Add a Box and position it to the handle. Attach box to katana. Edit reach target, and click the box. Position the box so the hand is holding the katana handle.

Then I apply an animation and the character just runs away from the katana. Their hand is still trying to hold the katana, but the katana itself does not follow the character.

Computer Specs:

Reading This Topic