Circus lights with cross hash filters?

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Greetings all....
I'm new to iClone - I did video editing (think betacam) back in the 80's. I'm a visual guy and aspire to "quality" realism.
I've created a 5 minute music track - now it's time for the visuals. Enter iClone.

The challenge:
Interior construction of a large circus tent where the singer (a clown) relates his life experiences in the song.
A large portion of the music clip is portayed balancing up on the "high wire":
ie: low level blue light glow on big-top tent canvas, white spot lights on the clown, distant colored lights with cross hash filter and lens flare.

So far I've just imported a couple of slightly tapered timber "King Poles" and I'm working from there.
I've tested using a small distant sphere which has a very close spot set to "look at" the sphere. Then with HDR, the star filter effect is seen.
It looks reasonable as a static shot, but once you perform camera moves it flickers wildly like crazy.

Is there a better way to approach this? I was hoping to do it in 3d space (rather than a 2d backdrop), to achieve perspective changes of the lights
as well as a more "live" feel (avoiding the "dead feel" of a photo).

I'm only running on a laptop though - so simple is best (for my brain too).
Acer Aspire E15, win10 home, 8Gb ram, AMD A9-9410 RADEON R5, 5 compute cores 2C +3G, 2900 Mhz, Display: AMD Radeon R5 M430.

Any suggestions most appreciated....... It's all new to me.
Thanks....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

I get the feeling that you can't point light toward the camera to achieve a real flare look.
That's why I tried bouncing light off a surface as outlined above.
I'd post an image of the type of look I'm after but not sure how to....
When I outputted a test image the HDR effect wasn't rendered in the image anyway - sigh -
Maybe I've gotten myself into the wrong software ..... I seem to remember Eon-Vue as a very intuitive and quick way to build scenes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Have a look into DAZ:
https://www.daz3d.com/carnival-big-tent
https://www.daz3d.com/carnival-big-tent-interior

I would do the FX in post (e.g. Hitfilm)...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for that toystorylab - that's a great place to start .....
Cheers.

Reading This Topic