Profile Picture

Using a spoylight with CC long hair (help please!)

Posted By elliespotter 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
elliespotter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi Guys,

I am using a customised CC avatar with CC Long Hair and have run up against an interesting little problem with lighting, using a fill in spot.
Here is a view with light turned off (avater lit from above).
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d7cab65e-157f-416e-8b2f-81b0.png

Now here is the avatar with the fill in spotlamp turned on:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6f7832af-f3cc-470b-b159-9eca.png

As you can see  an interesting effect it really is not what I was aiming for which is to lighten some of the shadows and provided a realistic stage lighting effect.
Has anybody come across this issue and/or have any ideas how to resolve it?
I'm running iClone 7.2 by the way.

Kind regards,

Alex

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I'm going to guess this can be fixed by adjusting the shadow bias -- it's worth a shot, anyway.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
elliespotter
elliespotter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Kelleytoons (12/28/2017)
I'm going to guess this can be fixed by adjusting the shadow bias -- it's worth a shot, anyway.

Thanks.

I fixed it temporarily by switching off one of the overhead lamps but that spoils the overall lighting when viewed from the other cameras. This tells me there is some sort of fight for influence going on. The shadow bias sounds a good place to start fiddling.

Kind regards,

Alex

Edited
7 Years Ago by elliespotter
animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Based on other hair-transparency problems being reported, it looks like there is something wrong with the way transparency is rendered in iClone 7.

4u2ges noticed bald spots with hair when comparing rendering in IC6 (OK) and IC7 (problematic). I have issues with hair in front of particles (such as fog) disappearing. Your issue with the spotlight is apparently another one.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
elliespotter
elliespotter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hair does seem to be a problem with iClone. I am so envious of the Blender people right now.

If Reallusion could focus on fixing hair and mirrors as their 2018 targets ...
Fiddling with shadow bias didn't help.
I just have to ensure that no more than three spotlights reach the hair object box area.

Kind regards,

Alex

animagic
animagic
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Alex, the other setting you might try is Alpha Threshold. It's located above the Shadow Threshold. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by animagic
elliespotter
elliespotter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Animagic,

Adjusting Alpha Threshold on the hair did very slightly improve things but very slightly.

At least I have a workaround that I can use to get on with the animation. I think all of us long time iClone users are used to "workarounds"!

Kind regards,

Alex

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday

This is indeed an odd behavior. I tried to simulate with multiple lights set. But I cannot get that very "FX" you are getting. Perhaps, you may want to share the project with lighting set for others to try troubleshooting.

elliespotter
elliespotter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

4u2ges (12/30/2017)

This is indeed an odd behavior. I tried to simulate with multiple lights set. But I cannot get that very "FX" you are getting. Perhaps, you may want to share the project with lighting set for others to try troubleshooting.

Thank you for the offer 4u2ges!

Being as the stripped down project is still huge I don't think the forum is the place to put it. Yes I did try, silly of me. So now I've signed up to Dropbox.
Here is the link CC Hair and Lighting Project ... I hope it works.

As I said, I can get on with this particular animation but remain curious as to where the issues may be to learn more about these intricacies.

There is a four spot lighting rig hanging from the ceiling and a front spot at the end of the catwalk. All the spot lights are attached to their appropriate props. This means, obviously, that you'll find them under the props and not in the lights section.

Everything in the project shared is actually downloaded from right here on Reallusion so there should be no product conflicts.

I shall be really interested to know if I've done something daft ... I often do.

Kind regards,

Alex

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
OK Alex. So right out of the box I should have been getting a vanishing hair which you have on the second image... but I am not... regardless. I even boosted that front spotlight. But still the hair stays intact.
Unless someone is getting a different result, it looks like you have done nothing wrong. My only guess is, that it has something to do with your GPU, drivers, DirectX or something else on your PC. Otherwise, no clue Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/add40c71-9dce-4cef-9d83-e473.jpg

Reading This Topic