Anyone using a GoPro hero5

Posted By rbritt 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rbritt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Currently using a Logitech 920 at 30FPS max with reasonable results as a static cam. I also have a GoPro 5 and wondering if anyone uses or has tried this model as either static or head cam?  If so I am interested in your opinion.  The GoPro 5  is a recent purchase and I don't know if it will actually live capture.
Cheers

johnb4467
This post has been flagged as an answer
johnb4467
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)Veteran Member (789 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi,
From what I understand, the Hero 5 Black has HDMI output via an adapter. I'm using a Hero 4 Silver, which has the smallest HDMI output. Once you get the adapter, I think you're in the same boat. 
From there, it will output the HDMI signal perfect and without the overlays if you turn them off in settings. 
To get them into your machine, however, you are going to need an HDMI to USB 3.0 converter. A very popular one is the first link below, but I found the second option to have identical results hardware-wise and is half the price (and only very slightly bigger):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I16VQOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HHSTYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ended up keeping the second since at half the price it seemed to make more sense for me. 
Either box does introduce a small amount of latency, but overall they seem to be the best way to get HDMI sources into your computer without actually dropping in an expansion card into a PCI-e slot (if you're even using a full PC to begin with). 

Hope that helps!

John

Edited
7 Years Ago by johnb4467
rbritt
This post has been flagged as an answer
rbritt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)Veteran Member (869 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
John,

Many thanks for providing the information and advice. Great stuff.
Cheers
Rick

Reading This Topic