Sky Globes

Posted By planetstardragon 7 Years Ago
Rated 2 stars based on 4 votes.
Author
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
After my last video,  I was pleasantly surprised with how much influence the sky globe had on my visuals ...particularly this shot
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6b5a36f3-4b2f-4567-86ea-4119.png

so I started investigating more ...

firstly,  I find the magic size for the sky globes are 2048 x 1024   -  those seem to wrap the neatest when it comes to blending edges .....from there the size of the globe can start at 100...and increase to 500 -  the more you increase it ,  the larger the background seems .....

so I used the sky map from that scene as a template,  and started designing new ones ...

I created a sky dome to create the illusion that this 1 house model is near a large complex of castles

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/97b3f7f5-4001-47d2-8163-437d.jpg

and this was the Sky Dome Map for the above scene - after using the original skyglobe as a template

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7856be6f-51ec-44a2-bed8-a81a.jpg

This is now my solution to the apocalyptic scene with mech wars I've wanted to do,  but couldn't figure out how to build the set,  further iclone does a really good job of rendering images,  so it's worth capitalizing on the sky dome for really enhancing your shot ......I find this is the perfect place to develop matte painting skills to create sophisticated HD backgrounds -  if 2048 x 1024 works well,  I'm sure 4096 x 2048  will wrap just as nicely with greater detail. It seriously enhances your movies! -  I figured I'd share this enlightening adventure -  such a simple approach thats hidden in plain sight!

Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Edited
7 Years Ago by budbundy
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

this is another skydome i created experimenting with Howler - Dogwaffle  to create a cartoony like background - still needs a little more work but am happy the direction it's going. so far -  one trick to make it seamless is to make the edges / borders identical yet opposite - so the seams are on the same pattern. which I haven't done to this image yet,  plus I want to smooth out some of the grain more and maybe add a cartoon forest.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/eeed7585-cabb-4bd0-8ef3-8cfe.jpg

Edited
7 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@bud  ooh thanks,  nice,  yeah,  I can use that,  I just recently got grand designer ,  and you could really make some sophisticated backgrounds with those 2!
I had something else like it,  but they use the sky-box approach 

it's not just making the skydome though,  but matte painting a story into it that I'm tripping on right now ....ie -  adding satellites in the distance -  0 poly realism instead flooding your scene with models.   increases quality and cuts down on big files, system resources.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@bud  and everyone else,  feel free to use this thread to share your own techniques -  would be a great way to keep the sky globe theme resources in one spot and learn from each other.

Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

Edited
7 Years Ago by budbundy
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Nice Background,  wraps nicely!  Instant realism!  thank you for sharing!
the astronaut model is from https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models  -  and i rigged it with mixamo
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bc90cc48-2314-43df-8f90-dd1a.png

Edited
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

quick side note -
#Breaking news ( lol )

Psychnauts is free on Humble bundle for a limited time, 46 hours from this post

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/psychonauts

Edited
Skuzzlebutt
Skuzzlebutt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Edited
7 Years Ago by budbundy
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

stunning backgrounds Bud!   add a little mist / fog in the area and you have a great stage for a space battle!!

another thing I sometimes do is use the same image as a glow map,  to make the stars glow / sparkle  - then maybe add a few star particle effects in between to add to the depth

Reading This Topic