Why did my motion screw up?

Posted By michael7 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I posted part of this in my foot sliding post, because I have 2 questions regarding this.

I created an animation motion in iclone. In that program the model behaves correctly. The character walks from the right to the left along a grid line but then in his walk sort of walks at a 45 degree angle, so he moves inward by a couple of grid lines. I made this motion using my perception neuron suit. When I brought this motion file into CTA-3 it worked correctly until the point of where he begins to walk inward, ( 45 degree angle ) or towards the background. When he did this instead of maintaining the correct perspective he got really small. And from this point a lot of shifting started happening ( with the legs and feet ). Question is, why did this happen? Was it just bad data from the perception neuron suit? Why did the iclone model work right? Is there a way I can fix this in iclone?
michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

No one has any ideas? Peter?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
that's an elephant in the room topic,  mainly in iclone,  seems like porting it over to CTA3 has issues too, most of us are hoping things get a little better with the curve editor -  if we could use crazy glue to cut down on slip sliding feet, we would!

I know your post was more specifically about cta 3, and it played well in iclone,  but it's pretty much the same elephant!

as a general rule,  the simpler you keep things,  the less that can go wrong,   so for example,  don't port the whole walk,  just port 1 cycle of the walk motion,  and reloop it from there in cta 3 -  this minimizes any potential deviations.

michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Unfortunately it's not just a simple walk cycle, the character moves his body in various ways throughout it. I did end up cutting up the animation ( days ago ) and brought each one separately into CTA but the issue still remained on the on animation in particular. So I ended up resetting the pivot so now I have to key frame the movement transition for each step. A pain but what else can i do. The main issue now is, on the last animation I have a lot of foot sliding. I just posted about this in the iclone section. I don't know if there is a way to anchor the feet to the ground but thought I'd ask. I see by your crazy glue foot sliding comment, probably not. Was looking for a simple solution instead of having to key frame the errors out in this one as well. Ahh well.
Edited
7 Years Ago by michael7
michael7
michael7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Actually I just tried the reach target, works, not 100 % but I might be able to get away with it.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

sometimes it's an easy fix,  other times it ends up leaving your character walking like frankenstein.   Several members have come up with different techniques for work arounds,  but in the end,  it's still a work around -  part of the problem appears to be that with each fix you add,  a new quirk appears. That's why simple and direct is always the best option when available,  you don't want to add too many keyframes  because the real time calculations will come back to haunt you.

something to familiarize yourself with,   the collect clip - which also has it sets of quirks,  but can sometimes help a ton when you understand it's bugs.  - for example - you collect clip for every milestone in your animation -  this will help cut down on the real time diversions that complicate things since now as a file,  it's being read ..not calculated in real time.    One bug to work around with the collect clip is that when you collect clip and re-apply it, sometimes it relocates your character to 0,0,0.  -  so you want to adjust your motion at 0,  then move it to the proper spot once the motion is where you like it. 

Tip: keep all things you can throw at your monitor out of reach when you are keyframing,  there will be moments you want to throw something lol

Edited
7 Years Ago by planetstardragon
but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
michael7 (9/13/2017)
The main issue now is, on the last animation I have a lot of foot sliding. 
...I have to key frame the movement transition for each step.

The tedious and long way.

A pain but what else can i do.

Quickly loop the animation in any external animation software. (i.e. Blender) and import it to iClone.
Just make the (1st) and last pose... exactly the same.
No more feet sliding.Smile

Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

unfortunately it's not that easy,  But,  he had a nice motion in iclone that he was happy with, but unfortunately something got lost in the translation when he ported it to cta 3.  Thus the elephant in the room,  it has more bugs than an ant farm in mating season.

Reading This Topic